need help badly getting my internet up

unruled

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks. BTW, kmc77 said

Also, once I went as far as using the install disk, and letting it set up the connection for me. I don't think that'll be necessary, but it's always an option.

can I do that if it doesn't work? and how?

Anyway, one thing at a time :D

EDIT: okay, I tried doing all the stuff mentioned and it still does not work. Then I tried to install 'pump' and that was okay, but I couldn't find 'dnsmasq' in the list. And it still doesnt work....

Any other ideas? WHat about the install disk thing?

Edited by unruled

The gurus here can tell you if that's a good idea or not. I did that with Mdk 9.1, when I had just started using Linux, so It may not have been a good thing. Essentially I acted like I was repairing an install and let it go thru the setup again.

I've had other connectivity problems since then, but normaly figure out how to fix after a couple of days, at the most.

yeh :)

Well Ive been relly happy with all the help so far, but this whole thing is just making me think whether mandrake is for me or not...I mean, if I cant get the internet to work then for me its worthless...

I just took mandrake because I heard and AFAIK its the easiest to install, specially since Im doing dualboot...

or do u guys have any recommendations?

If you don't have much setup already then a reinstall would probably be the easiest.

The problem is those wizards and reparing the damage if you make the wrong choice. Once that is done properly and preferably the first time then you will have internet and things get much easier!

Readme for networking

Im sorry, this situation sucks ... the biggest problem seems to be unless you get it right the first time it leaves a mess!

If you want to reinstall and don't have data to loose in Mandrake then it is the easiest way and you will be somewhat prepared this time...

Whatever you do choose LAN and not DSL as your connection type... your connection is via the router (192.168.0.1) hence the connection is LAN... this sounds irrational and should be explained better...

Once it is installed like kmc says... things get considerably better :D

I would suggest you do an absoklute minimum install with the network client...

if you get this working EVERYTHING can be added later and you stand less chance of choosuing something that messes up like the firewall...

if you get a choice DO NOT install it....Im not saying never but first get internet working.. then if you want add an extra firewall.. then if it doesn't work you know its the firewall.. right now we have NO IDEA what is working or not working.

I have all 3 install disks with me, yes

so I just boot up from disc 1 and install over the current one? or do I have to remove it first?

(Im still a massiv noob)

(and I dont relly have any data in linux, since I havent gotten the internet to work and all, just some configurations but thats very little)

Edited by unruled

OK, well look arouhnd before you reinstall ....

note your graphics card resolutions etc. it takes some guesswork out later.

then i would choose the smallest install, just choose format on the / partition when you install and any misconfigs will be wiped.

Check your model of the network card... and make sure you choose LAN for your connection....

Choose the minimum security.... you can always increase it when its working and same for packages... just choose the absolute bare minimum then afterwards you have less stuff hanging about you don't know what it is :D

after you can just add it from the CD's or straight over the internet once the network is up

If it doesn't work on the first try get ovcer to your mums (or boot in knoppix) and get back... try not to fiddle until we get you up and running, then we will have a base we know works....

Then follow what people say... if they ask about a firewall don't install it just say you don't think you have one... there are no trick questions and no right and wrong answers ...being a total noob is not a crime so don't be embarassed and if you have questions please ask ....

if you go off doing stuff when someone is already helping you they will get frustrated, remember we do this for free just for people like you:D so as long as you try and follow what we say we keep helping...

if you run off doing other things we get frustrated, we are only normal!

Good luck on the install.....

just take your time, don't rush and read what its asking you...

if you don't understand get on your moms PC and ask !!!

I know it takes longer but Im sure it will be quicker eventually

Well last time I installed it Im pretty sure I did all the right things during setup, but I think I must have screwed up later with the wizard, cuz first I chose cable, tht didnt work, so I tried DSL and in the end LAN...but u said that can cause problems...so I hope thats it.

EDIT: I formatted and reinstalled mandrake, following your guidelines...but still I cant get it to work on the internet.

I feel perhaps its better to just try another distro...

is there another distro which is easy to set up like mandrake?

Edited by unruled