update:

I tried to restart the service from the command line;

it said stuff like

shutdown ..... OK

shutdown ..... OK

disable.... OK

setting network parameters..... OK

bringing up loopback interface......OK

bringing up interface eth0....... (LONG pause, once again, 15+seconds) and then FAILED.

I did find the firewall settings though, and actually, the firewall wasn't even installed, so I installed it and made sure to allow everything I need.

Im still stuck without internet, and dualbooting is getting so annoying just to be able to use the net....

:wall::wall::wall:

maybe I can restore all original settings and start over?

or any other advice?

:unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

or any other advice?

:unsure:  :unsure:  :unsure:

do you have a live-cd like knoppix at hand? you could try if this is only a mandrake-related problem, but i guess that it is not. but i must admit, i have no clue why your box refuses to start your eth0 or ping anything. :sad:

yeah, my internet works fine in knoppix (3.6)

BTW, it used to be able to ping stuff, well, I mean, it used to be able to at least TRY to ping things, even though it didnt get responses...but now it just wont let it do it at all..

so i figure somewhere Ive screwed up some setting and made it even worse...

can i restore all settings to default or somtn like that? :help:

where would I find those dir's?

I assume in the ramdrive that knoppix makes?

(dunno if Il have time to check, I got my last economics and biology exam tomorow...)

EDIT:

I did the following today,

first, since with my settings as DHCP i couldn't even get the network service started (if I tried to ping anyhting it said 'network service unavailable')

so I tried LAN-> static IP. I then gave the Ip I get from my router in windows and the netmask thing....after that I can ping myself, and if I try to ping other machines, or the router itself, it doesnt work...but I CAN ping myself....so thats something :)

Anyway; I went to knoppix and did what u said,

in the /etc/network/interfaces there was this:

#etc/network/interfaces --configuration file for ifup(8);ifdown (8)
#the loopback interface
#automatically ... when upgrading
auto lo
interface lo internet loopback

or something like that (It might be tiny bits different, I dont remember exactly)

and in the /etc/network/options

ip_found=no
spoofprotect=yes
syncookies=no

:help: :unsure:

anyone still here? :unsure:

Edited by unruled

so thats it? Im just out of luck?

could be... if i were you, i would switch to a distro that works on your box. if you need some help with your new distro, you can still ask your questions in here. not all are mandrake-users. ;)

i am sorry for you but sometimes even this forum cannot give a satisfying answer to some questions (it is rare but it happens...)

sorry bout the language =x

I understand, it can happen.

The only thing with mandrake was that it was really easy to install (virtually just as easy as windows, xept for the partitioning is tricky because of dualboot).

I heard knoppix was based off debian, but Im afraid I would mess up my dual boot on this computer. :(

Im a bit unsure of which distro to check next..

being a Major noob and all..

If you can go into knoppix and post EXACTLY (using cut and paste)...

If i am going to help i need to know exactly what is in the files in knoppix that works .

I am trying to find out how it finds the IP address and also any options given to it... it is very important to make usre its EXACT...

especially there should be a line

eth 0 inet ****

or not... if this is absent then how did you connect tot he internet in knoppix...

if you are not sure you did and it *appeared* to be working then say so else we are chasing ghosts...

If you can go into knoppix and post EXACTLY (using cut and paste)...

If i am going to help i need to know exactly what is in the files in knoppix that works .

I am trying to find out how it finds the IP address and also any options given to it...  it is very important to make usre its EXACT... 

especially there should be a  line

eth 0 inet ****

or not...  if this is absent then how did you connect tot he internet in knoppix... 

if you are not sure you did and it *appeared* to be working then say so else we are chasing ghosts...

u mean the exact content of those files? Il boot up in knoppix in a half hour or so and do that then

edit: make that 5 mins.

okay, Im here in knoppix 3.6 now

(Btw, I just noted that during the knoppix bootup sequence it said "Eth0 detected, DHCP broadcast started" )

Edited by unruled