need help badly getting my internet up

unruled

as I said in the title, Im having trouble with my network/internet and sound card.

To start off with the network:

I have cable internet and I run it behind a router with NAT which also has a DHCP server. In windows the IP I obtain can change once in a while but right now its been 192.168.0.4 for a while.

Anyhow, when I go to mandrake 10.1 my internet doesn't work. So I go to manage connections, remove connection, then add new.

I choose cable internet, then DHCP, then just follow the rest. ANyhow, long story short, it doesn't work.

Ive tried just about everything, and I really wanna get this working...is there something Ive missed?

:o :angry:

btw, I hope to have a nice stay at these forums

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, just to straighten this out in my head. You have a cable modem, that is run thru a router, to the ethernet card in your computer?

Couple of questions. Static or Dynamic IP address? Wireless router, LAN or Combo? Is your ethernet card onboard the mobo or PCI?

First thing you want to do is set the Internet connection up as LAN connection and not Cable. If it's not working after that, then post the answers to the above questions, and we'll work from there.

maybe, as you are using a router, you are suffering from the ipv6 problem.

some basic things you could try: edit your /etc/sysconfig/network file and add the following line:

NETWORKING_IPV6=0

and edit your /etc/sysctl.conf file. add a line at the ipv-section:

net.ipv4.tcp_window_scaling=0

and: edit /etc/modprobe.conf so that you have these entries in it:

alias net-pf-10 off
alias ipv6 off

if that does not help, install "pump" and "dnsmasq" and reboot your system. (if you want to do it with urpmi, est some valid dns-entries in your /etc/resolv.conf and save the file, then ping via terminal your mirror. then start the urpmi command. this should temporarily "disable" the ipv6 problem).

then you can lock your /etc/resolv.conf in case it gets changed automatically. type in a terminal as root

chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf

and not even root will be able to change the file-content!

you could achieve this also by modifying your /etc/dh-client file (if you have one), but do not ask me to what it needs to be changed. gotta take a look at it myself first, before spreading some nonsense. ;)

i hope this is the right track and helps in your case... if not, please post how you are doing so far.

good luck :)

Edited by arctic

Ok, just to straighten this out in my head.  You have a cable modem, that is run thru a router, to the ethernet card in your computer?

Couple of questions.  Static or Dynamic IP address?  Wireless router, LAN or Combo?  Is your ethernet card onboard the mobo or PCI?

First thing you want to do is set the Internet connection up as LAN connection and not Cable.  If it's not working after that, then post the answers to the above questions, and we'll work from there.

yes, cable modem, router, network card.

Thanks guys, Il try to give it a go tomorow.

:thanks:

artic: that sounds kinda complex, Im a massiv linux noob :unsure:

btw:

stions. Static or Dynamic IP address? Wireless router, LAN or Combo? Is your ethernet card onboard the mobo or PCI?

my external IP (the internet one) is dynamic but it only changes like once per 2yrs, so basically static. my internal IP I get from my router (Wired, with CAT5) is DHCP but stays the same for several weeks/months.

onboard ethernet, yes

Edited by unruled

artic: that sounds kinda complex, Im a massiv linux noob  :unsure:

i am a noob, too. i will always be one until i manage to build my very own distro from scratch... but i am too lazy for that. :D

Edited by arctic

okay, I just booted back into windows after having tried that stuff in linux..

I first removed my connection I had before and then tried adding the new one, this time taking LAN and then DHCP. I close the wizard, in the tray it still says its disconnected.

No worky.

So then I tried what artic said;

I found out that if I logged in as root I could change those files, so I added the lines and stuff.... still didn't work.

Then I removed connection again, added it again, this time under DHCP ticking'advanced' and I chose PUMP instead of dhcp client.

I rebooted and it still doesnt work, infact now if I try to ping something it says

"network is unreachable" and before it just couldnt ping machines except myself.. (when I manually configged my internal IP...which didnt work, but at least could ping myself).

also, during bootup Im still getting a long pause saying"bringing up interface eth0" and then aftera long time FAILEd. The drivers are installed properly I think cuz I can select my NIC from the list fine...

:hanged:

is there no hope for me?

am I doing something wrong?

as I said, I already had trouble finding how to edit the files..lol

:(

:wall:

:help:

This depends how you connect to your modem...

where do you enter your password and username.

Is it actually on the modem (with a web browser) or directly in the windows internet connection thingy...

actually post your modem model/number... etc.

It makes a huge difference ..basically whether you are using pppoe to the modem or ethernet to the modem.

You actually need a pppoe prog to scan for what is called a pppoe concentrator as opposed to DHCP if its the first and if its the second its prob all messed up after choosing DSL the first time.

This can be a REAL prob...

so post up the modem type/model pls

I have cable internet, I don't have/need a username/password to connect to the internet...its a direct connection. Its just always connected through the motorola surfboard 4200E modem..

(once again, the internet goes from my cable modem, to my router, and then to my computer).

I feel like ive completley screwed up.... somewhere :wall:

:( and without internet I probably wont use linux...

plz dont give up trying to help me! :cheesy::thumbs:

Edited by unruled

When the modem is switched from "stand-by" to "active" do I have to renew my IP lease (DHCP) on my computer or modem?

Your PC will still maintain its IP address for the life of the lease (unless it's been rebooted). If the lease expires while the modem is in stand-by mode, the PC will have to renegotiate a new IP lease (DHCP) when the modem is again set to active. The length of the lease is dependant on parameters set by the ISP/ Cable Operator and may be checked and renewed in Windows 98/ME computers using the WINIPCFG command at a DOS prompt or "ipconfig /renew" for Windows NT or Windows 2000.

The modem maintains communication with the ISP/ Cable operator when in stand-by and will automatically maintain its IP lease (DHCP).

looks good....

The SURFboard SB4200 cable modem requires only a standard HTML browser in your computer, making them virtually platform independent.

sounds better :D

From what I read it supoprts DHCP over ethernet so it should be realtively easy

First you need to get rid of the pppoe stuff completely

Go to the control Centre - remove progs and search pppoe

Remove them all (should be 3 packages if i remember)

Now go back and choose the new connection and make sure you choose LAN and DHCP (you NEED DHCP or you will need to do the routing manually)

if this doesn't work get back :D

First you need to get rid of the pppoe stuff completely

Go to the control Centre - remove progs and search pppoe

Remove them all (should be 3 packages if i remember)

Now go back and choose the new connection and make sure you choose LAN and DHCP (you NEED DHCP or you will need to do the routing manually)

if this doesn't work get back :D

I tried and searched for pppoe or even just ppp but it didnt find any packages in the remove programs window.... :o

also, I noticed that, during bootup it pauses for a long while (10+ seconds) when initializing eth0 device.... and I just noticed that after setting up the network connection and it says 'u have to restart the network service' it also does that very long pause....

:unsure:

:help:

also if I try to ping anything it says "network is unreachable"

*sigh* I hate this.... :(

Don't give up yet. I had a similar problem when I first started using Mdk. One thing I forgot to mention, make sure your firewall is turned off while you're doing all this. The first time I set my eth0 up wrong, shorewall raised a monster of a wall and blocked everything. So it actually took me a few days to realize that I had actually set the connection up right the second time, but the firewall was the thing causing the problem now. Of course this was all in Mdk 9.2, so that firewall thing may not be a problem anymore, but, in my experience, it has been best to turn the thing off anyway while I'm working on the network.

Everything you've told us about your equip, ISP and setup leads me to believe that it should be a prety standard set up. Turn off that firewall and try deleating your current eth0 connection and creating a new one again (LAN connection with DHCP - Name your box) I know it's not necessary to reset your computer, but being a noob myself, it makes me feel a little bit better. Anyway, see if that does something, then post back.

Also, once I went as far as using the install disk, and letting it set up the connection for me. I don't think that'll be necessary, but it's always an option.

Il try again tomorow. Last time however when I looked for the firewall I couldn't find it at all.... whre exactly should I be looking for it?

last time I went to services- but it wasnt in the list there..

and with name your box, what do you mean exactly?

(I have an english and economics exam so I wont get around to it today anymore).

thanks a lot guys, I appreciate it!

Try restarting the networking from a terminal

as root:

service networking restart

(note. networking might not be the right word, check in /etc/init.d/ for something like net.eth0)

If it fails you will probably get an error message to work with.