SuSE killed Mandrake installation.

Guest malegria

Guest malegria

:help::help::help:

This may be off topic but I wasn't sure where else to post this.

I have two hard drives. One with winXP and mandrake, and another with a FAT32 partition to write to.....and an empty partition. In THIS empty partition I installed SuSE. I had to configure lilo.conf on SuSE to be able to boot into Mandrake, and when I did many things were said to have failed or be missing. Does it make any sense that an installation on one hard drive would ruin an installation on another? Is there a log file somewhere in mandrake to see exactly what didn't load at boot up?

...and when I did get into Mandrake my mouse didn't work, and I had no internet connection. I'm sure there were more things wrong too.

Any ideas? I really don't want to reinstall Mandrake 'cause I spent so much time getting it the way I like it.

Thanks.

Edited by malegria

I'd probably start off by repairing the MDk install.

This is relatively easy...

Boot into a working distro. If MDK isn't booting then Suse will do... just follow the IF THENs'

If ONLY_SUSE then

boot into suse

open a console and su to root

mkdir /mnt/mdk

mount /dev/hdaX /mnt/mdk

ls /mnt/mdk

if directory_boot_is empty

make another mount point and try and find it on HdXX and mount it as above but on /mnt/mdk/boot

when directory boot exists

chroot /mnt/mdk

at this pont you can edit the lilo.conf in /etc (you could put in the stuff for suse )

then

lilo

this will reinstall the boot loader

then its just a matter of post the suse /etc/lilo.conf and the mdk one and we'll try and hack em together so it does both :D