ogg to mp3?

santner

Is there software that exists that will convert .ogg music files to mp3's? I'm asking because I would like to burn an mp3 disc to play on my dvd player (obviosly won't play ogg vorbis files) but I don't want to convert each file using audacity which could take days.

Basically I am looking for a simple command line utility that will convert all of my ogg files to mp3's. Does that software exist?

Yes, there is. It's called ogg2mp3, oddly enough. It's in plf. Normally, you can go here to add new mirrors:

http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/

but they seems to be experiencing problems at the moment. My plf mirror of choice is

ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions_Linux/plf/mandrake/10.1

urpmi.addmedia plf ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions_Linux/plf/mandrake/10.1 with ./hdlist.cz

Then

urpmi ogg2mp3

Yes, there is. It's called ogg2mp3, oddly enough. It's in plf. Normally, you can go here to add new mirrors:

http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/

but they seems to be experiencing problems at the moment. My plf mirror of choice is

ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions_Linux/plf/mandrake/10.1

urpmi.addmedia plf ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions_Linux/plf/mandrake/10.1 with ./hdlist.cz

Then

urpmi ogg2mp3

Could you give me step by step instructions as you were a little unclear. I know, pretty sad attempt at sarcasm. Thanks for the advice. :headbang:

Yes Steve.

I've had rhe program installed from original install but do not know how to initiate it or whether it works inside some other program. So far I've had to do all such conversions in CDEX ( a brilliant gpl'd program in the Window arena unfortunately).

If you could outline the required procedure, it would be sincerely appreciated.

Cheers. John.

it's a console app, so it should print a usage if you just run it from a console with no arguments. I'm on a Windows machine now (work...) so I can't check directly, but from the source code (isn't source code great?!) the usage appears to be simply:

ogg2mp3 file.ogg

That will create file.mp3 in the same directory.

Yes, that's true. I didn't mention it because it seems that in this case there's simply no alternative to recompression. The technical explanation - MP3 and Vorbis are both, as you say, lossy formats. They compress by throwing stuff away. Each time you compress a file to a lossy format, more stuff gets thrown away. If you edit an MP3 file and resave it, you've now gone through two steps of recompression. If you encode a CD to Vorbis and then convert to MP3, also two steps. If you encode, edit, re-encode, transcode - three steps. And so forth. The more steps, the worse the quality. It's the same effect you get if you have a .jpeg image and keep editing it and resaving as a jpeg - each time you do it, you lose some image detail.

If the original poster still has the original lossless source for the music - CDs, or whatever - it would be best to re-compress into MP3 format from those. If not, recompression is the only option, sub-optimal as it is.

OK, you guys check me on this. If you have ogg123 and lame installed, cd to the directory with the .ogg files and:

for i in *.ogg; do ogg123 -d wav -f - "$i" | lame -b 320 -h - > "$i".mp3; done

I'm at work, so I can't check this now. They make us use M$.

Edited by Germ