Install KDE 3.3 During New Installation of 10.1

Tsuroerusu

I doing a major hardware upgrade during the upcomming christmas holidays, for example I will upgrade my current motherboard to Asus' nForce2 A7N8X-E Deluxe (nForce2 is good enough for me, and I don't have the money for AMD64). I also ordered Mandrakelinux 10.1 PowerPack from a local Linux reseller. OK down to my question, is it possible to install KDE 3.3 during the actual installation of the distro so that you don't have to install KDE 3.2.3 ?

Anything is possible :cheesy:

I think you would have to make yourself a CD with all the KDE 3.3 rpms and add that source during the install process. Maybe you could pretend its that CD4 that is always listed. I think this would work?

BTW: you prolly already know... KDE on 10.1 official has its problems. But, for the benefit of others... At least install those KDE updates on the mirrors ASAP.

Good Luck,

Anything is possible  :cheesy:

I think you would have to make yourself a CD with all the KDE 3.3 rpms and add that source during the install process.  Maybe you could pretend its that CD4 that is always listed. I think this would work?

BTW: you prolly already know... KDE on 10.1 official has its problems.  But, for the benefit of others... At least install those KDE updates on the mirrors ASAP.

Good Luck,

What sort of "problems" are you reffering to? It's because I'd really like to use KDE 3.3, a friend of mine bought a copy of SuSE Linux Profesional 9.2 and installed on his laptop and I was just amazed of the KDE 3.3 desktop. I won SuSE 9.2 in a local launch contest, sounds weird, but I actually did! B)

So I'm kind of thinking, should I go for SuSE 9.2 for the cool desktop and wonderful things like YaST or should I stick with Mandrake 10.1 for wonderful things like urpmi and the great amount of RPM packages available and easy to install.

After a clean install of 10.1 official (the 3 CD version download edition) - I wasn't able to log into KDE as my regular user.  If I wanted to run KDE, had to log in as root.  I ran the updates and all was fixed. Running good now  :D

Well, if that problem is on a retail version of Mandrake 10.1 I'd say that hurts MandakeSoft's reputation, but how is KDE 3.3 on Mandrake 10.1 (I ask because I havn't been able to find a single screenshot), does it look different than 3.2.3 ? I like a desktop with a bunch of colors because it gets me in a good mood to look at something bright colorful like if you look at a rainbow.