DSL? [SOLVED]

jmanjeff

Yes if you are getting DSL then connect the modem via the Lan routine and not by the USB even if it does have USB.

Setting up DSL via USB is still a drag although it is getting easier. LAN on the other hand is dead easy.

Cheers. John.

I agree with AussieJohn . Get a cheap router and setup a lan. It's better behind a firewall, anyway. If you have a firewall in the router and use the personal firewall, you'll be stealth mode on the net!!!

aussiejohn: some DSL modems have no ability to connect via ethernet at all. The one I got when I signed up for ADSL in the UK a couple of years back *only* had USB (one of the Alctatel frog modems). In that case getting the USB working is your only cheap option - you can buy an ethernet-capable modem, but it's an expense some people don't want.

Yes you are correct. I was thinking of the Alcatel 530 which is supplied in Australia by Telstra.

If jmanjeff is getting a new ADSL tomorrow then he will probably be getting a new modem with it. Hopefully it will be a model which has LAN as well as USB. I will keep my fingers crossed for him on this one.

And the best part of the LAN set up is that it is so dead simple to set up and get running.

Although I think lxthusdans' suggestion is still the best in the long run for jmanjeff if he is is getting a modem that hasn't got a LAN output as well as USB. At least if he gets a cheap new router he will be making the best use of his dsl which I understand is fairly expensive in UK ( why are we assuming he is in UK for some particular reason ???) rather than using what may be limited use dsl modem.

Like all hardware, dsl modems and routers are developing all the time.

Cheers. John.

Unfortunately the telecoms companies are trying to save money.  One of my friends recently got DSL and he was provided with a non-LAN capable broadband modem.  This was about 2 weeks ago.

It is still a good investment (if you can afford it) to get a LAN capable router (or at least modem). They are REALLY cheap even with extra functionality like a 4 port switch or WiFi and reusable... :D

If you have a modem then the standard SW is rpppoe .. if you have set your urpmi sources (see FAQ) then this should get installed automatically ..personally I don't like the mandrake wizards (especially on networking) and I prefer setting this up by installing the pppoe packages (just search in install SW with pppoe) then run the rpppoe-conf (or similar) it will ask for your username/password etc. and it is a good idea to have the info ready and also if the format..

some isp's use <password>@<isp> or change @ for a '.' others just the username. In reality it can be any string.... try and find pothers who have set up the same service outside of a WinBlows install CD (even if its windows and they just wanted not to use some supplied SW to connect) ...

DSL modems are that expensive??? You can get a cable one for $30...

wow...$54 for a DSL one...and that's on pricewatch! And then it'll probably end up like the one I got...we're renting it from the cable company, so it really sucks...lol...if I try to DL or upload multiple large files it'll just shut off and I'll have to reset it.

just got it set up in XP speed is way off only 215.4 kilobits per second it should be 1.5mb my ISp need to fix it but it is better then dial up :mr-green:

The modem is lan or usb i will be getting a router this weekend

Edit : I have never set up a net or had dsl. So google is my friend time to do some reading and if you know of any good how to's that would be a big help.

Thanks agin

Edited by jmanjeff

urza9814 - cable modem prices are heavily subsidised by cable companies (I work for one, I know). our cost price for cable modems is in the hundreds of dollars. This should improve with the new DOCSIS standards for cable modem interoperability, though.

jmanjeff: are you sure the speed you're reading is in *bits* not *bytes*?