superkaramba problems

BigCdaAnswer3

I am new to linux and wanted to change the way KDE looks so I recently downloaded Superkaramba. I am using MDK 10.1 CE with everything needed for this installation. When i run ./configure it works fine up until the point when it says :

configure: error: We need a working libXext to proceed. Since configure

can't find it itself, we stop here assuming that make wouldn't find

them either.

I have googled this many times but have not found any solutions up to this point. I'm pretty sure I have the required files I need but I'm just not sure how to tell the installer that I do. Any suggestions?

Superkaramba is really cool but a bit unstable.

The best way is to use the Mandrake RPM if/when it is available.

It tends to sometimes drop out becuase of dependancies but have you tried setting your urpmi sources (see FAQ's) .. its also quite fragile once running but it is very cool!

are you really sure you have this one installed? check it on your box

"XFree86-libs-4.3.0-2.i386.rpm Shared libraries needed by the X Window System (original created on: RedHat 9 distribution)"

maybe the superkaramba-stuff is compiled against a different version of XFree... :unsure: i would ask the one who compiled/created the superkaramba rpm or source-file. maybe he can give you more info.

p.s.: you are not the only one with these problems. i found three other entries with this problem on the web.

Ok, I downloaded the rpm and used rpm -i --force super.....rpm to install it as root. It gave me these messages :

warning: superkaramba-0.35-3bgn.src.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID f90b1df0

warning: user sgrayban does not exist - using root

warning: group sgrayban does not exist - using root

Does that mean it was successful? Now what?

• 2 weeks later...

i recently tried installing superkaramba through source but it was so buggy i had to give up, so i'm trying the rpm package instead now. When I installed it as root this is exactly what happens:

warning: superkaramba-0.35-3bgn.src.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID f90b1df0

1:superkaramba warning: user sgrayban does not exist - using root

########################################### [100%]

What does this mean?

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I would avoid the .35 version of SuperKaramba for 10.1 CE. I would instead use the .34 version. The .34 version is available as an rpm for 10.1 CE and 10.1 OE (at least on the mirror I use, mirrors.secsup.org under contrib).

there is a .35 rpm available under cooker but I think it uses the new perl libraries which are not backward compatible.

I've had no major problems with .34 on 10.1 OE. It hiccups a few times but generally does what I want it to do (liquid weather and a self-created system monitor).

Regards,

Crispus

:angry: I swear I can't win for losing!!! I figured I would try 0.34 instead and I even got my hopes up when the rpm package installer came up and told me to insert installation cd 3 because packages were going to be installed. I did this and the next thing I know an error window pops up that says something which I can't even paste here because when I quit and tried to do it again it wouldn't even do anything...maybe the software gods are not in favor of me having a cool desktop! :screwy:

Any other programs or methods I should try?