wmv still not working for mdk 10.1

unholy

After following the instructions in this thread, I still cannot get wmv's to play. Are there any other ways to get it working?

I have installed win32-codecs from plf, and they are present in /usr/lib/win32

the picture is a mess of colors, with no sound. this is the same for xine, kaffeine and mplayer.

Regards,

unholy

Hi there !

Have you been reading this post ?

- http://mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=21059

Mplayer works like a sharm in my Mandrake 10.1 off.

Haven't got Xine and kaffeine working though........ Kaffeine uses the same engine (and codecs) as Xine I think !?

As long as Mplayer works, I found out that there is no need for them to be working 100% :-)

Thanks guys, after following the tips from cenobites link, I have quite a few of them working. The remainders have the blocks which I can assume from devries, are incomplete.

Thanks again folks...once I get IR working, I wont touch / upgrade this box again because it will be perfect ! ! ! ! <insane laughter...>

ir? eesh, good luck. I *once* got *one* file transferred to my old phone over a wireless link in Mandrake. It worked using the same procedure i'd previously tried 50 times with no luck. I tried again 100 times afterwards...no luck. Buy yourself a Bluetooth dongle! I got one yesterday for my new cellphone. Plug the dongle in, type gnome-obex-send file.jpg , click the name of my phone in the box that pops up, type in the pin code on the phone, and the file transfers. beautiful. :)

That's great to know. I'll get a bluetooth chip once I have a bluetooth device to connect to! At the moment I want to use the laptop as a jukebox / dvd player, so InfraRed would be great. I'll enjoy what I have for a while though. Why spoil it right?

A bluetooth remote would be great!

well, you can use certain cellphones as bluetooth remotes, including mine - ericsson t610.

lirc (using infra red as remote control) works a bit better than IR file transfer stuff, apparently, but here's a heads-up - you won't get it to work using the stock Mandrake kernel, because its lirc is broken :(. You'll need to install the kernel-multimedia-2.6 kernel from contrib; that one is built with working lirc support. I can't help you any further from there, though, sorry!

Edited by adamw

Note: I have rebuilt the lirc drivers, see my site, config page, for download webaddress and instructions on how to use them.

I have only used the drivers necessary for my remote (on hauppauge tv card), but I know that the serial (homebrew) driver also works. There's no big reason the others don't work - I just haven't had any feedback that they don't.

Thanks aRTee - I had actually checked your site when I read a previous post of yours about lirc, but the proceedure fails for me when I try to start the daemon.

[root@localhost lirc]# service lircd start
Starting Linux Infrared Remote Control daemon:                  [FAILED]
[root@localhost lirc]# service lircmd start
[root@localhost lirc]#  Remote Control mouse daemon:            [FAILED]

adamw - I'm jealous!

Edited by unholy