Disappointing MDK10.1 install [Unsolved]

yr2alex

But did you manage to do the md5sum test on the burnt disc (even if on a different linux system and cdrom drive)?

It may well be that in some cases there's a problem, which only shows up if certain packages are selected....

My point is: you don't know if your burnt cds are really bad. It's not at all impossible that there's an issue with the contents of the media.

So

- there's no need to download an iso image again if the one you have checks out with md5sum - it's just a waste of time and bandwidth

- check the media/cds you burn yourself, ideally on the system you want to install upon, so that you have 100% assurance that your hardware and the media are compatible, and they can read the data correctly

On a side note, you can actually install from the iso images on your harddisk, for this use the /images/boot.iso (on the first cd) as cdrw image to boot your system.

In some cases your hardware may not get properly setup or used (bios issues or the linux installer kernel or whatever) leading to read issues during installation. This you can circumvent by using the boot.iso image.

More info is in that first cdrom, in the /images directory and in the root dir of the cd.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The HD install is a good way round if your experienced.

I think part of the problem is the installation kernel .. it seems to do something fussy with CD drives... I had similar probs to this again and again and the media checks out fine under MD5 but then gives these stupid errors during installation.

I actually gave up completely in the 64bit version (official CD's) and just stuck the files on another PC with a apache server and pointed the install iat the http instead.

Once installed the CD/DVD burner worked fine! and I could read the CD's which previously during install it crapped out on???

did you try the alt kernel from CD2... I think aRTee already suggested it.

no didn't think of that one either, what command needs to be invoked in order to use the

the alt kernel from CD2...
???????

I appreciate the help :cheesy:

Guest TheWINner

Hello all,

I've noticed the same problems at all with MDK 10.1 OFFICICAL. Here's my story.

1. WIN98SE running fine on hd1

2. WINXP running perfekt on hd2

3. RH9 running on hd2 too for half a year. Running good with typical RH probs. ;)

3. MDK9.2 installed instead of RH9. Running fine except typical MDK9.2 Probs. LINUX needs probs at all, looks like. ;)

4. MDK9.2 upgraded to MDK 10.1 COMMUNITY. Great and running ... with old kernel 2.4. I'll attempt to run 2.6 and updated MDK10.1COM. Ooohhhhh what a mistake!!! Malicious files on all mirrors? Corrupted updates on all mirros? MDK10.1COM was gone.

I'am hard and reinstalled MDK10.1COM for testing. Installation ok, runs great except the typical problems (no audio-CD is crying; LOGITECH joystick crashes kernel 2.6) and do an update. And now ... I got some informations about problems installing some files (all mdk's ;-)). I'am hard all time and do what the system is saying: OK. This results is a total lost of mdk's rpms. I'am hard and do that again for joke. And .. same procedure as before.

Now, I'am absolutly hard and load MDK10.1 OFFICIAL. ISO CDs. But .. I'am warned about the other 10.1er and test different installation methods. Best one is the following:

1. Load ISOs

2. MD5 ISOs

3. Unpack ISOs with ISOBUSTER (YES, on WIN ;-) ).

4. Create boot CD with boot.iso

5. Install MDK10.1OFF from hard drive (FAT; yes WIN too ;-) ).

Works fine and runs and .... I get a message. Some file will not be installed. wget... I stopped installation, checked all and ... run again. Got a message again (what wonder): wget, some lib, openoffice *huh ... I'am surprised* But I a'm hard.

After some checking new run ... ignored the messages and MDK10.1OFF is installed. Great. Looks a little bit easy when someone has seen MDK10.1COM. Why this?

I tried to install wget. Failed because of 'missing signature (could not open file)'. Download that from mirror. Same fault.

Tried to install OPENOFFICE. Looks like you know the answer: failed because of ....

Downlaod from different mirros ... and got messages.

rpm --rebiulddb; rpm --initdb; resstart .... and same problems.

Such problems could not be reality. I changed my installation way: copied all CD contents of the CD2 and CD3 into CD1, move this CD1 into root of the FAT hard drive and installed again with formatting LINUX partitions. After this MDK10.1OFF installs without problems (except two files which I'll not found on the ISO-CDs).

And now MDK10.1 is running fine. :-)

To the develeopers: Please ... take a notice to LOGITECHs joysticks which will crash hard drake with kernel 2.6 crashes. LOGITECHs wheels will not do any harm (both USB).

Have a nice time

WINner

Edited by TheWINner

Such problems could not be reality. I changed my installation way: copied all CD contents of the CD2 and CD3 into CD1, move this CD1 into root of the FAT hard drive and installed again with formatting LINUX partitions. After this MDK10.1OFF installs without problems (except two files which I'll not found on the ISO-CDs).

I understand what you did but this was never necessary in any of my previous MDK Installations so why now??? :huh: :unsure: :huh2:

Guest TheWINner

I don't know. I installed MDK the first time with this method (installing from hard drive).

First I've stored the ISOs in a subfolder. Install crashes.

ISOs stored on root. Install crashes.

ISOs stored in root and copied like descriped above. Installation runs fine.

In all cases the ISOs will be unpacked before installing, that's essential (clear so far).

So ... when this will be done in earlier versions correctly MDK must have changed some installation routines in 10.1.

Have a nice time

WINner

So ... when this will be done in earlier versions correctly MDK must have changed some installation routines in 10.1.

I Understand how you did it, your instructions are easy to follow- but what I'm trying to do is understand why???

It just seems as if some completely unnecessary steps were taken in order for you to get MDK 10.1 OFF to install, granted you did what you had to in order to get it to work. However, if I understand you correctly I must first install windows, unpack isos using iso buster (windows software) copy each of the cds to the root of a windows directory/partition then install it from there. What if you don't have windows installed, as in my case I have always typically installed Linux on an empty hdd from scratch. There has to be an easier and better way... :help:

And lastly, indeed, this is really really strange..

That is the understatement of the year, however, don't fret the year alast is nearing it's end. Mission Mandrake 10.1 Official install has also come to an abrupt end.

I have exhausted every known means to get MDK 10.1 installed (not to mention exhausted many, many cds) and have been met with failure on every attempt. As a last ditch effort I attempted to hack the iso images themselves using "isobuster" as recommended in a previous post. I got real close but no cigar. I was able to see a directory structure on one cd1 but it would not boot, made the next cd1 bootable using mandrakesoft.img it sends the system into a vicious reboot cycle. Lastly I had a bright idea of using mandrakesoft.img from my 10.0 cd1 (which installed flawlessly) then got an error that autorun.conf was missing in lang or dosutils/lang directory but it was there, only as autorun.con. Wierdly enough that is how it is on the 10.0 cd1 as well. I thought what the heck got nothing more to lose at this point- so using the last cd of my spindle I recreated the cd1 only this time renaming autorun.con to autorun.conf- borked borked and more borked now it just sits with the cursor flashing at the top left coner of a black screen. In a final moment of desperation I managed to locate 3 more blank cds, reburned the iso's at 4x and guess what BORKED!!!!!!!

It is fair to say that as much as I love Mandrake it is time to move on, until they get it right I will continue to use 10.0 and of course there is always Fedora.

cheers :beer:

I understand you being completely frustrated ...

the .con not .conf error sounds like a prob with a windows partition though... or the isobuster etc. since this sounds like a long filename prob.

I have had lots of probs with some hardware with mandrake and gone through much of the above .... my AMD64 I installed using http from another computer after trying everything...

Mandrake are known to have a friendly installer... its a shame they don't actully bother bug testing it on more diverse hardware since its also the worst part of mandrake and the first people see......

If you fancy a fun real easy to setup distro try kanotix as a HDD install of debian.... install is a piece of cake from the liveCD and you have the benefit of knowing it works or not before install!

After that its just a debian install... difficult to recommend over mandrake ... except it got me into doing real deb installs from scratch...

its only 700MB download which helps since its very heaviliy compressed and over 2GB when inflated so you get lots for your MB download wise :D

yr2alex,

that is really really sad to have to live through.

One question though: why burn cds again and again? If the cds work on another machine, that's not the issue (or did I misread)?

Did you not have a machine (with some kind of linux) to do the md5sum on with the burnt discs? Can you check with Mdk 10.0 or FC or so?

I understand if you're fed up and too frustrated to try Mdk again... If you can, I'd advice you to try 10.2 around the second beta or first (hopefully not only) RC, should be around February/March 2005.

Then you can just report these issues and hopefully get things working.

gowator: it's tested on all the hardware Mandrake has access to, but because they're not very rich, they only have a limited range of test hardware in the tens, rather than hundreds or thousands, of systems. Another part of the problem is it's not tested as much as the rest of the system by the public beta testers (i.e. Cooker users), because we all tend to just keep our systems updated with rolling updates and don't do installs very often. I *try* and do at least one install every release cycle, but don't always manage it :(. My install of 10.1CE went perfectly, though, which was good for me but bad for bug squishing - heh.

One question though: why burn cds again and again? If the cds work on another machine, that's not the issue (or did I misread)?

The md5sum checks out ok on the downloaded isos every attempt. Why so many cds? Each attempt to reburn isos to cd was an attempt to determine if the problem with iso was isolated to the mirror or if image was well you know borked (for the lack of a better term). I've come to the this conclusion it has to be the iso image not the media. I say this because (as you'll note in one of my previous posts) in one of my atttempts to install I completely circumvented the process of writnig iso to cd by attempting to install directly from the iso image via VMware which will allow you to install supported OS from an iso image by reading it as if it were on media. I have been able to do so with every release of Mandrake from 8.2 to 9.0 to 9.1 to 10.0. In fact the following screen shot was captured while running MDK 10.0 on VMware workstation 4 on a test box at work.

mdk100-scr1.jpg