SmartRPM

well, the same people always run those repositories, but they're not the same as the people who build the main distro, and they're not all using the same build system.

They do use the same build system, but since you don't know what your talking about, I guess "I'll" drop it.

:cheeky:

http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/apt/mega-merge.php

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Just Wondering if you can use SmartPM on Slackware, as I thought I read on the SmartMP WebPage that it said something about it being used with Slackware and eventually with Mandrake, And if so will it have a set of repositories to choose from like with Fedora as I found it really helps so you dont have to worry to much about chasing repos all over the web to add , AnyWay one of the reasons I'm asking is I have been using SmartPM with Fedora3 for a little while now and I think its great,With all the updates and Packages I've installed I dont think I've had a problem yet that I can Think of, except 4 a minor one which happens when screensaver is on while downloading eventually it stalls if I leave it 4 a couple of hours (Im using Dial Up) and then if I press Cancel to resume again -as its all in "Cache" I think thats how its spelt, I find it freezes so I have to press Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to be able to close and start again where it last left off and resume again, I dont know if its more to do with Fedora though But anyway its 50 times better than using up2date which takes 4 ever and freezes compulsivly no matter which version of redhat or fedora I have used and which PC I have used it on ,So I really think SmartPM has a lot of potential 4 the future of Package GUI tools probably just has a few little glitches to fix so to speak but I like It..

...and besides, I never have had a problem with plf packages conflicting with main or contrib packages using urpmi. so why would I want smart? :P

I really agree.... It will be a matter of time before this comes back to haunt those using it....

Im not even really sure of the point of FC anyway? In an overall sense.

Its carrying on RH but why... why would i choose FC over deb? will FC become mother to generations of new distro's like RH/deb have or is it just an offshoot?

Its carrying on RH but why...  why would i choose FC over deb?  will FC become mother to generations of new distro's like RH/deb have or is it just an offshoot?

I think its just for us crazy folk....... :cheesy:

There are a lot of reasons to use Fedora over Debian and vice-versa... Choose your weapon and move on :D

Edited by cybrjackle

Its carrying on RH but why...  why would i choose FC over deb?  will FC become mother to generations of new distro's like RH/deb have or is it just an offshoot?

There are a lot of reasons to use Fedora over Debian and vice-versa... Choose your weapon and move on :D

possibly....

I just started thinking about it.... one of my colleages has a 'family tree' of Jazz on her wall which got me thinking.

Music is always influencing other music, just like distro's.

good things come out of one and are adopted into another (apt?/kudzu?) ...

I was just wondering what is the point of FC....

I could sum up Debian with the social contract or gentoo with portage ... Mandrake with ... KDE for RH... originally? slack with .tgz and Volkering .. (is that how its spelled? ) etc. but sofar didn't see any simple definition for FC?

Im genuinly interested in what is it all about or is it just lets carry on RH where they left off? I guess I could check the net... Im just wondering if anyone can sum it up?

possibly....

I just started thinking about it.... one of my colleages has a 'family tree' of Jazz on her wall which got me thinking.

Music is always influencing other music, just like distro's.

good things come out of one and are adopted into another (apt?/kudzu?) ...

I was just wondering what is the point of FC....

I could sum up Debian with the social contract or gentoo with portage ... Mandrake with ... KDE for RH... originally? slack with .tgz and Volkering .. (is that how its spelled? ) etc. but sofar didn't see any simple definition for FC?

Im genuinly interested in what is it all about or is it just lets carry on RH where they left off? I guess I could check the net... Im just wondering if anyone can sum it up?

SELinux

Global/Cluster File System

bleeding edge/Latest Greatest Technology's

Stateless Linux

Fedora/Red Hat does a HUGE amount of the work that goes into a lot of upstream developing in many of the apps you use.

Every release of Fedora, has several things that most/all distros don't have but wil use in later releases. So yes, Fedora is still what RH is, the leader in Open Source technology.

:lol2: that sounded a little bias :woops:

I don't really like this thing. Quote from the message:

"The new Smart package manager is able to let

you use different repositories that were not designed to work together.

Which was a recurring complaint on this and many other mailinglists."

In other words, this is a solution to a problem no-one should *try* and solve; using multiple incompatible non-official package sources to update their distribution. No matter how good the dependency resolution, in my experience, this can only lead to pain and a broken machine. OK, on some distributions, it's hard to avoid...but even then, this thing might keep you staggering along for a little bit longer, but in the end the discrepancies between the sources are still probably going to come back and bite you.

SmartRPM is probably not intended for doing complete system upgrades, but for getting packages from various prepositories. Say, for instance, you have Mandrake or Fedora, but there is not a decent RPM available for a package you want, but the Debian repositories do have it. Theroetically, you can use SmartRPM to get it, without worrying about conflicts, and use SmartRPM whether it's Debs or RPMs or whatever else.

Now, if you want to do a system upgrade with the package manager (apt-get, yum, urpmi), you stick with that system only. You should also do it very conservatively. Even with the wonderful apt-get, doing a complete system upgrade too many times can render a system broken and useless. A complete operating system is a very complicated thing, with complex interdependancies. Doing too many upgrades is bound to break something along the way. It's better to do fresh installs every so often.

SmartRPM sounds very intriguing. However, I'm quite content with urpmi on Mandrake, and apt-get on Debian based systems.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Xterminator

I only use smartrpm to bring up to date my system daily Conectiva Linux Snapshot(Unstable)

one of the last tests that I made with smart was to bring up to date an installation of the Debian Unstable for Ubuntu Hoary and is functioning very well.

smart deals very well with management of complex packages, a good example of this is in the proper Conectiva that has an excellent division of packages

Screenshots Here

Debian

http://images.xterminator.multiply.com/ima.../600x600/27.png

http://images.xterminator.multiply.com/ima.../13/orig/29.png

Conectiva Snapśhot

http://images.xterminator.multiply.com/ima...s/1/orig/32.png

http://images.xterminator.multiply.com/ima...s/1/orig/34.png

• 1 month later...

I will tell you what is happen. Some peoples have as a basic need to reinvent the wheel. I sayd and say again... If urpmi lacks in anything, improve this. But let apt-get to debian. To Cesar what is of Cesar. (Is this right translated?)

If you really whant to mess up all the bases of MDK, why not not emerge the packages?

Forget urpmi, forget apt-get, forget smart. Use emerge. :-)

If somebody think this is confusing the things, I agree. I like urpmi and whant to see it become more an dmore efficiently. I whant urpmi to become smart and not to use smart or anything.

Cose I'm a MDK user and fan. :woops: Please, don't mess up my distro.

stupid qestion but:

In the priority section is a 0 or 1 more priority than say 10?

Several channels provide an identically-named package. Which of the packages does Smart use? Can I change that?

All channels are created equal. Smart will attempt to upgrade to the newest package. If you wish to override that, you may assign priorities to channels and packages. To configure your channel priorities, go to Edit->Channels, pick a channel, click Properties and set a value in Priority. Highest numbers imply higher priority.

If you want more granularity, you can define priorities for individual packages in individual channels. To do that, right-click the package and select "Priority". This setting overrides channel priorities.

If you are familiar with packaging, think of Priorities as user-defined "epochs".

While priorities are powerful, they are also dangerous. A channel with higher priority will always have precedence over other channels, including your local package database. It is easy to get in a situation where your system has to downgrade packages because a remote, out-of-date channel has higher priority than your installed packages. If all you want to do is be sure that your vendor's packages are preferred over third-party packages, it may be easier and safer to lower the third-party channel to a priority below zero (zero being the default) rather than increasing other priorities.

(In fact, priorities are more complicated than this, and in some situations Smart may choose a package in a channel with a lower priority. Priorities influence the weight each possible transaction is given, so it does make a difference whether a priority is set to -1, -5 or -100. The exact way this works is, for now, undocumented.)

http://zorked.net/smart/FAQ.html#mozTocId879498

• 7 months later...

i've been using smart alot lately. to address some of the questions or concerns that have arrisen here (yes i know this is an old thread). smart using channels from other sources. well, if you mean other distros, yes it can do that, but you have to manually add the channels. secondly, even if you did that, smart resolves the dependancies and chooses the best senario <package/s>. thirdly, smart imports some of the channels from apt sources.list. heres what it imported from mine

[suse-apt-update-gwdg]
type = apt-rpm
name = SUSE Linux packages apt-rpm repository on ftp.gwdg.de
baseurl = http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/suse/apt/SuSE/10.0-i386
components = update

[rpm-sys]
type = rpm-sys
name = RPM System

[suse-apt-security-gwdg]
type = apt-rpm
components = security

[guru-apt]
type = apt-rpm
name = suser-guru 3rd party package repository for SUSE Linux on ftp.gwdg.de
components = suser-guru

[suse-apt-base-gwdg]
type = apt-rpm
components = base

[packman-apt]
type = apt-rpm
name = Packman 3rd party package repository for SUSE Linux on ftp.gwdg.de
components = packman

the mirror feature of smart is nice. this allows smart to switch to another mirror if one is down or is slower than the other. smart automatically picks the best mirror.

i have used smart to do security updates and system upgrades, with no problems.

Edited by linux_learner

• 3 weeks later...

Hey... I posted something up there 7 months ago.

I tested smart, with a server, my home pc and very very very old notebook.

What I say now?

Smart is from far wise and quick than urpmi.

On that oldbook, urpmi becomes umpraticable... smart install the things to me :o)

I know I know, what I can say... I was stupid, blemed the thing without fully try it.

Only in 2 points smart is lacking on my opinion. I was unable to configure club channels in smart becose it don't accept user and pass on the URL. The second thing is that the priority can confusing some new users, maybe a better GUI on this part.

Hehe... in the end I become a smart user :lol2:

Edited by ethraza