SmartRPM

That crazy guy from Conectiva that brought apt to rpm distro's has another fun toy.

http://www.smartpm.org/

http://dag.wieers.com/packages/smart/

Email from Dag to freshrpm and fedora list:

/yes it's 3 days old and yes I was extremly busy at work to even touch my e-mail so if you

haven't read/used/seen this, here you go ;-)

Dag Wieers

<dag@wieers.com> to freshrpms-list, fedora-list, GustavoNiemeyer

More options Dec 5 (3 days ago)

Hi there,

I'm very pleased to be able to announce you a new solution to manage

packages and repositories. The new Smart package manager is able to let

you use different repositories that were not designed to work together.

Which was a recurring complaint on this and many other mailinglists.

You can prioritize repositories or prioritize packages and Smart will

handle the conflicts and make a decision based on what's available. It

includes a command-line utility (smart) and a GUI that resembles synaptic

(smart-gui).

Smart was written by Gustavo Niemeyer from Conectiva (the same guy that

ported apt to rpm and caused the RPM repository revolution). I have made

Fedora Core 3 packages (smart and smart-gui) that you can install from apt

or yum or if you do not have my repository included, manually from:

http://dag.wieers.com/packages/smart/

Smart fixes many of the problems we know with the current package

managers. There's a document that explains how it works, what it fixes and

includes screenshots for when you're interested but not convinced The

website is at:

http://www.smartpm.org/

(There are also packages for Fedora Core 3 on that website, but they don't

include a plugin to allow packages to add repositories automatically.)

My current packages come with 13 repositories preconfigured and enabled

by default with a preset priority for each. And it has been working very

well for me the last 24h.

If you do have problems, fixes or suggestions, let us know. Enjoy !

-- dag wieers, dag@wieers.com, http://dag.wieers.com/ --

[all I want is a warm bed and a kind word and unlimited power]

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really like this thing. Quote from the message:

"The new Smart package manager is able to let

Which was a recurring complaint on this and many other mailinglists."

In other words, this is a solution to a problem no-one should *try* and solve; using multiple incompatible non-official package sources to update their distribution. No matter how good the dependency resolution, in my experience, this can only lead to pain and a broken machine. OK, on some distributions, it's hard to avoid...but even then, this thing might keep you staggering along for a little bit longer, but in the end the discrepancies between the sources are still probably going to come back and bite you.

Edited by adamw

In other words, this is a solution to a problem no-one should *try* and solve; using multiple incompatible non-official package sources to update their distribution. No matter how good the dependency resolution, in my experience, this can only lead to pain and a broken machine. OK, on some distributions, it's hard to avoid...but even then, this thing might keep you staggering along for a little bit longer, but in the end the discrepancies between the sources are still probably going to come back and bite you.

I agree

I love SOP's (Standard Operating Procedures) to

Of course you would have to test it before you say you don't like it. In a very basic way, this is like debian and pinning repositorys. Either way, many fedora users stupidly do use all the repositorys they can find which causes a problem, because ie. they don't know what they are doing.

Me personally, I don't really like livna or fedora.us so I don't include them. freshrpms/dag/newrpms pretty much carry everything I want/need and if they don't, I'll make my own rpm.

cybr: actually, in the case of my objections I don't think I need to test it, because even if it does what it says on the tin *perfectly* you still end up using packages from multiple untested-against-each-other sources :). I agree that this thing would be most useful on Fedora, but then having to use multiple untested untrusted third party sources for basic functionality is a big reason I don't want to touch Fedora with a barge pole - hence why it's a solution to the wrong problem :)

cybr: actually, in the case of my objections I don't think I need to test it, because even if it does what it says on the tin *perfectly* you still end up using packages from multiple untested-against-each-other sources :). I agree that this thing would be most useful on Fedora, but then having to use multiple untested untrusted third party sources for basic functionality is a big reason I don't want to touch Fedora with a barge pole - hence why it's a solution to the wrong problem :)

:lol2:

Thats pretty funny, you don't mind pulling your barge pole out with PLF though huh?

:lol2:

well, plf is officially unofficial but unofficially official. :P plf packages are built by the same people who build main and contrib, for the most part, and they're built the same way against the same system.

And that is different from Freshrpms(Matt) or Dag (dag) packages made by the same people since rh.....

Anyway, if you don't use it then I'll just keep your opinion is just that, opinion based off of nothing :)