help with setting up ftp server

nyrblue35

hey all.

i was looking around for a good newbie how to for setting up an ftp server on my linux machine. i just want to give access to a few windows users(not on my lan) with logins nad passwords. is vsftpd or proftpd the way to go? also, which is easier to set up and can anyone provide a really good walkthrough? i would love to get a gui setup to configure it but ill deal w/out if i have to. ive tried gproftpd to set up the gui for proftpd but had no success. im looking for the easiest to set up and im using drake 10. i know webmin has the module to set up proftpd but its a little intimidating to use at first with too many options. TIA.

I've used both. Currently, I'm using vsftpd. It seems to be more secure and faster. The down side - No GUI. Webmin's module for vsftpd is bare bones, and not that usefull. But once you read the man, vsftpd is quite easy to run thru the configuration files.

Proftpd was packed with options (Therefore a little slower and less secure - but only slightly noticeable on my box), and has an excellent GUI (gproftpd - I use Gnome, don't know if it has any issues in KDE) that is easy to use.

I personaly prefer vsftpd, but both are good. I'm sure other members could suggest diffrent server apps.

would you be willing to post your vsftp.conf? i read through the man page and it has very very few options and nothing about adding users, what directory they are privy to, upload, setting the ip of the server, the proper port, etc.

also, is it necessary to actually add the users to my system in userdrake to allow them access to the ftp server? the man page also says to see "SEE ALSO

vsftpd.conf(5)" but i dont know where to even find that and have looked,

Edited by nyrblue35

I'd be happy to post it, although it might be a few hours. I'm still at work and chained to my Win Lappy right now, and I'll be heading over to teach my youth group after I leave here.

Yeah, you'll have to set the users up using userdrake (in mdk - My FTP box is currently running Ubuntu). Make the FTP users members of their own group (this makes it easier to track who has what permissions). Proftpd is the same. If you use the GUI it creates the users and puts them in the FTP group for you.

Oh yeah, strike what I said about the webmin module for vftpd being useless. If you choose vftpd, get the module. I can't remember what it was, at the momemt, but I do remember that there was one option that I couldn't for the life of me, figure out how to change, but was able to with webmin. I'm sure I'll remember what it was later.

Sorry, I still haven't posted my configuration. Got home last night and had no internet access. Called em this morning and they said that they were upgrading the service in our area. Hopefully I'll be able to get on tonight. Sorry again.

As far as the webmin module: Are you very familiar with webmin? If not, the first thing you need to do is open a web browser and type in the address bar "localhost:10000". Sometimes it'll give you a link, sometimes it goes straight thru. You'll need to log in as root.

Once you're in, on the main menu, you'll see an option to add add'l webmin modules. Just point it to where you saved the vsftpd module, and it'll set it up for you.

I'll check my connection when I get home and post that config output.

Did you get the FTP set up?  I'm back online now, so if you're still having trouble, I'd be happy to help.

nah i was in a rush and was getting frustrated. i wanted to try something different so i installed server 2003 to run bulletproof ftp server at the moment. the goal in the long run after i get a bigger hard disk in about a month is to go the linux ftp route. i think ill skip kde this time around and use fluxbox as it worked nice in the past. the only think i was actually able to get working for a short time was proftp.

i took your advice though and installed the vsftp module for webmin but looking at the interface in webmin for it doesnt give me much to do at all it seemed. id like to try vsftp in the future so posting your vsftp.conf would def. help so i can check back. thanks

• 3 weeks later...
No need for anyone to post thier conf file, point the brower of your choice to www.vsftpdrocks.org and you'll find a well written and easy to follow tutorial on setting up vsftpd.

see heres where the problem lies still. im running this ftp server(proftpd+gproftpd) and i have a handful of users that basically share files with me from their remote windows boxes. while setting it up, gproftpd creates the users on my linux system itself with the permissions i choose. but heres the sticky part. i only give rights to upload into the "uploads" folder. now when one of the users logs in, creates a folder and uploads whatever files, its now in their name. so me, being the only user on this linux system, wants to browse with say konqueror and rename stuff and move stuff around to my liking but i cant of course because they own the files. any idea how to better this setup? i love proftpd if i can just get past this hump.

Go to console and su to root, then change permissions on those files. Or if you like the graphical way, go to console, su to root, then type nautilus (or whatever file manager you use). Now you've got a file manager with root priv (better option than logging in as root), you can find the files you want to mess with, left click them and change permissions that way.

Edited by kmc77