Upgrading from Mandrake 10.1c to Official [Solved]

YaAqoB

Hello I was wondering how I go about upgrading from the community edition to the Official edition.

Is it a simple update via the web?

Is it worth upgrading to the Official release?

Would I have to do a clean install?

Any help would be wicked aye.

Thanks

Edited by YaAqoB

Yes, yes, no.

Go here: http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ . Follow the instructions to add sources for main, contrib and plf sources - ignore the others. Make sure you set the Mandrake version to 10.1 Official. Pick mirrors close to you geographically. Run the commands it produces. If you have problems, try another mirror - some don't work too well.

Once you have the sources set up, run this command:

urpmi --auto-select -v

Once it finishes, do:

urpmi kernel-2.6

Then reboot, and you're done. :)

Wicked, Thanks.

Just out of interest, when You want to add and remove packages and it asks for the CD's will the old CE ones work or Will i have to download the Official ones?

Also if I have already setup URPMI with 10.1CE links how do I remove the old links so I can add the new ones?

Thanks again for you help.

Just out of interest, when You want to add and remove packages and it asks for the CD's will the old CE ones work or Will i have to download the Official ones?

Yes, that should work... as long as the CDs are added as a source in "Software Media Manager"

Also if I have already setup URPMI with 10.1CE links how do I remove the old links so I can add the new ones?

Probally good to remove all previous sources (to avoid any conflicts) prior to setting up those new sources. From the easyurpmi site ;) :

Also, you might want to type urpmi.removemedia -a first, in order to reinitialize urpmi's setup.

If you have both sets of sources set up, I believe it would ask for the CDs if the versions were the same (i.e. the package had not changed between CE and OE). If OE had a later version of the package, it would go and download it. You could force it to use the CE version with the --media option to urpmi, which limits it to a certain medium or media:

urpmi --media main,contrib libfreetype6

would tell urpmi to install libfreetype6 but only from either the 'main' or 'contrib' medium; if you had another medium called, for instance, 'plf', this command would completely ignore that medium. I believe co-existing media from CE and OE are supposed to work OK, but if you want to make absolutely sure there's no problems with the update, scoopy's suggestion to run urpmi.removemedia -a before adding the new sources is a good one.

Guest neodorian

Hmm. I did the same thing but now when I try to start kde it gives me an error saying my account (not root, the other one I made) doesnt have write privelages. Trying to boot into gnome just makes the screen blink and kicks me back to the graphical login...