Brand New User, with Laptop HELP!

demonicomelette

Right! I buggered my Windows and got rid of it, in a fit of drunken rage.

I installed Mandrake 10.0, with the KDE desktop on my Asus A2 laptop.

I have NEVER used Linux before. Ever. So I have NO idea what I'm doing.

But I need to have some sort of battery monitor. I was out using my computer in the library, and all of a sudden my battery died and my computer turned off, no warning or anything. Does Mandrake even know I'm on a laptop? So yeah, I need help putting a battery monitor on here. I'm sure one of you lovely people could help me... :-)

Also, I could use some help installing new graphics driver. I have an ATI Radeon mobility 9600 card, and would like to update my drivers. All the games that came with KDE are messed up, graphics-wise.

Hope someone can help me!

(Actually, could you come over to my house and just fix my whole computer? It would probably only take a couple hours, and I'll buy you a beer.)

-demonic

I can't find that energy management. I found one that's all about turning my screen off, but nothing about batteries....

Your beer is in the post, anyhow...

-demonic

The app is called klaptop_check if you want to launch it manually. I believe you can access it by clicking the taskbar and select Add -> Applet -> Monitoring (something like that...sorry, it's been awhile since I used KDE, but it's in the right-click menu of adding something there somewhere). Once it is launched, you can right click it and configure all kinds of nifty things about it.

As for the ATI drivers, if the FAQ doesn't help, maybe post back here saying so...there are plenty of ATI users around, I think.

The app is called klaptop_check if you want to launch it manually. I believe you can access it by clicking the taskbar and select Add -> Applet -> Monitoring (something like that...sorry, it's been awhile since I used KDE, but it's in the right-click menu of adding something there somewhere). Once it is launched, you can right click it and configure all kinds of nifty things about it.

I'll worry about my ATI drivers later, I think...

For now, though, I can't find that applet. It's not on my taskbar (though I did find a nifty little weather thing!). I did a search on my 'puter, and it couldn't find the file anywhere.

Let me tell you something, this whole getting-rid-of-windows thing has turned into a headache. But I'm having fun, so sod it, let's keep trying.

Thanks for your help, anyhow. it's much appreciated.

-demonic

i take it that you dont have a little plug icon then near to the clock??

System > Config > KDE > Power Contol

thats where it is, if you cant find id then you might have to install the ACPI  thing that does it all for you.

All I have in Power Control is the EnergyStar thing, for my screen..

No plug thingy anywhere...

must be your cheapo laptop :P

no seriously, install the klaptop package and that should do it

Ok! I think we're almost there! I need to install ACPI stuff or something now, I think....

Thanks for all the help!

Yes, you need to install acpi and acpid and you have enable acpi in your /etc/lilo.conf (if lilo is your bootloader.

Edit /etc/lilo.conf as root and change or add "acpi=on" (without the quotes) to the append= line and then save it and run, also as root:

lilo -v

Reboot. Add the applet. Done.