NVIDIA/NFORCE in 10.1

Gowator

OK here we go again...

Mandrake and nforce on my shuttle....

MDK 10.1CE

NFORCE-Linux...0292-pkg1.run

and

NVIDIA-Linux...6629-pkg1.run

I started using the NVIDIA driver and it installed OK...

Then it just locked up completely and needed a hard reset.

After reboot and fsck'ing about (literally) I got back up but I just keep getting a no screens found message. I change back to nv and it works... reinstall nvidia with the .run and it won't work.

Figuring it might be the chipset I dload the NFORCE drivers...

edit the sound config as in the helpfile with

alias sound-slot-0 nvsound

and config the network yo use the nvnet not the forcedeth.

The only thing working is the NIC... no sound no video?

To add insult to injury I just need to boot kanotix and it all works!!!

This is meant to be my MDK 10.1CE install though....

I had similar problems when I experimented going from 10.0-OE to 10.1-CE and found that only by doing a clean install did this problem disappear. Even then 10.1-CE had lots of niggardly little random, not necessarily repeatable problems, that I decided to go back to 10.0-OE and wait for 10.1-OE. I now have the 10.1-OE PowerPack and also the Official printed DVD (not tried it yet) and 10.1-OE runs as solid as a rock.

With the problems you are experiencing, maybe it would be worthwhile to go for 10.1-OE as well.

Cheers. John.

I had similar problems when I experimented going from 10.0-OE to 10.1-CE and found that only by doing a clean install did this problem disappear. Even then 10.1-CE had lots of niggardly little random, not necessarily repeatable problems, that I decided to go back to 10.0-OE  and wait for 10.1-OE.  I now have the 10.1-OE PowerPack and also the Official printed DVD (not tried it yet) and 10.1-OE runs as solid as a rock.

With the problems you are experiencing, maybe it would be worthwhile to go for 10.1-OE as well.

Cheers.                              John.

Yep its either that or Debian.

Update: After a forced uninstall and reinstall I now have the video working again but no sound still.

This is meant to be the MDK machine just for supporting others so I am getting a bit tired trying to get it working when I can just install Debian or another distro and have it work....

bah.. latest update, just rebooted and lost the NVIDIA driver again !!!

.. and the debian netinstall has just finished burning.... I guess another couple of tries before I wipe 10.1 is worth a go.....

Hi gowater.

I am starting to think there may be something going on with your video card, especially since you do clean installs then do the nvidia driver thing and it goes walkabout after you reboot.

Is there any way you can do a test swap of another video card ??

It does not seem to me that Mandrake would be the cause and I know you are quite well experienced with OSs so it is not an installers (you) problem.

Just an idea. Cheers. John.

Hi gowater.

I am starting to think there may be something going on with your video card, especially since you do clean installs then do the nvidia driver thing and it goes walkabout after you reboot. 

Is there any way you can do a test swap of another video card ??

It does not seem to me that Mandrake would be the cause and I know you are quite well experienced with OSs so it is not an installers (you) problem. 

Just an idea.                Cheers.                          John.

Ahh.. can't put an oldf head on newer shoulders....

Thx john,... your comments got me off my bum and checking the card..

then I find out Ive got it attached to the projector via the digital out too but the projectors is switched off... or on standby..

It was running drak X that found this and tried applying the settings fromt he projector to the monitor (I think).. unpluggd it and redecteded by hand and viola....

meanwhile I uninstalled the nvidia sound driver and put back the opensource one (i810audio) and this seems to be working, if half duplex...

Good stuff.  :thumbs:

Now you can enjoy your 'puter again.  (until the next time  :D  :D  :D )

Cheers.                      John.

Ahhh. I just don't have the patience. I rebooted and it went again!

I just installed Debian over netinstall and its working now but I have no MDK machine for the moment..

Im sure a bit of work and itll work, its just too tiring...

Incidentally solved my permision problems as well :D for NFS

Yes, the nvidia chipset drivers are more or less entirely obsolete now. You don't need the network driver and you don't need the sound driver.

FWIW, I use the ALSA driver on my nforce2-based machine, snd-intel8x0. You may like it more than i810_audio, so give it a shot :). You can switch with draksound. I find I can get perfect 5.1 audio out of it, but *only* with the exact right mixer settings and if I tell apps to use OSS output (not native ALSA output). Sigh, sound on Linux is still a bit of a black art sometimes. Haven't tried recording stuff so I don't know if it's full duplex or not.

Yes, the nvidia chipset drivers are more or less entirely obsolete now. You don't need the network driver and you don't need the sound driver.

FWIW, I use the ALSA driver on my nforce2-based machine, snd-intel8x0. You may like it more than i810_audio, so give it a shot :). You can switch with draksound. I find I can get perfect 5.1 audio out of it, but *only* with the exact right mixer settings and if I tell apps to use OSS output (not native ALSA output). Sigh, sound on Linux is still a bit of a black art sometimes. Haven't tried recording stuff so I don't know if it's full duplex or not.

Yep it makes a big difference on telephony if its only 1/2 duplex!

Its so bizarre it works then it doesn't then it does....

So for now Im just using Debian and it works so I suspect a kernel prob in mdk...

Ill put 10.1 onto the test machine which had traditionally had less probs with mandrake..

And while we are talking about it, which shuttle are you running?

I am on the SN95G5 myself. Just did the MDK 10.1 Official upgrade over the weekend. It installed the Nvidia 6111 drivers for me. I know that v6629 is the current rev, but can't get it installed... something about the nvidia-kernel-2.6.8.1-12mdk-6111-1mdk being installed...(grin) It just never stops if I don't stop upgrading... (grin)

The reason I ask about the shuttle you are running - NForce isn't required on my system for the lan and as you pointed out, the lan is the part that actually worked!

So shoot me your shuttle specs, and perhaps between all of us we can bugger... Uhm I mean fugger... um... no.. I mean FIGURE this out... (grin)

HTH...

Pierre: not a lot functionally changed up to 6629, so if you have an official commercial version of MDK with nice customised 6111 drivers (they patched the drivers to fix the problem with 6111 and recent kernels), good for you, I wouldn't worry about updating :).

I ran an SN41G2 Shuttle (nforce2 based) under Mandrake for a long time and never had hardware-related problems. Just for data.

Guest mihaipas

I recently installed myself the nVidia driver on my Epox 8RGMI (nForce2 IGP) mobo.

Problems with video driver: it won't load unless I modify /etc/modules.preload and add nvidia as a module to be preloaded at startup.

Problems with network driver: forcedeth works just fine, nvnet works just fine. The problem is that even now I don't know which driver I'm using. But it work as I'm writing this post on Mandrake 10.

Problems with sound: ALSA worked (with i810_audio installed) - xmms worked, but no volume control in any application. Now nvsound OSS driver (recommended by nVidia) works with almost all applications (with volume control), but xmms crashes. I also had to put nvsound in /etc/modules.preload.