dialup program for gnome

Kieth

As far as I know, this is one primary weakness in Gnome desktop. A usable dialup program similar to kppp. Gnome-ppp hasn't been updated since the 1.x days. Heck, RedHat with its default gnome desktop has its own dialer.

Anyway, you can use kppp for dialup even if you are using gnome desktop. It will just be well.. weirder since the blinking lights will not go into the system tray. If you want something more universal, try wvdial but it's a command line dialer.

libs, resources, gui, bugs, updating, hd space for some I guess etc....

why deal with any of it if you don't have to.....and why should you have to? I know kppp can be run from cli so that can rule out gui/desktop uniformity but not everyone would even know how or want to deal with cli anything. Gppp should have never been abandoned. Like many other gnome aspects devel and the experienced user assumed all gnomer's or all wannabe gnomer's love and want a hard to config desktop so...just use wvdial, was the idea. Now, gnome is considered more of a corp desktop (ximian/novell) and needs to be more user friendly so we have gnome ppp. Front end to wvdial. About time.

Edited by bvc