Can U recommend cdr media for LG burner?

aus9

Yow.. this kind of question should be directed toward another board entirely, since everyone has different opinions of what good CDRs are.

Personally, I think el-cheapo CDRs are good enough as long as you burn it in low enough speed. Besides, it's a burn once only media anyway. Personally, I don't think it's worth it to pay as much as 5 times more to buy a brand name for something you only use once. Now, if you are burning Audio CDs, or you are looking for CDRWs, then a trusted name like sony and TDK is better since you will use it again and again..

I find staples makes good CD-Rs...Radioshack had some of the best RWs I've ever seen...those things lasted about a year before I lost them, where most other RWs last about a day...not even sometimes...but I haven't seen any Radioshack CDs in a year or two... :(

I have a TDK 52X and I used to buy only TDK media, but it was alway a hassle because Circuit City was the only place around that sold it. Even if I could find it somewhere else, it was only in a ten-pack in the cases, never spindles. That forced me to try other brands. I've used Sony and Memorex and like both. I went to Walmart a couple days ago and the two big brands there were Sony and Memorex. They were both spindles of 50, but the Memorex was $2.00 cheaper, so I went with that. I don't have any experience with Imation. Unfortunately, the BX here on base only sells Fujifilm and Pengo CD-R media. Anyone ever used those?

The question about best cd brand is first to ask yourself "How long will I want this CD to last.e.g. 1. A year at most since it is only for temporary backup or to transport the data to another place. Then use any el cheapo brand.

2. To hold music were it will be repeatedly used and you want it to last indefinitely as well (two entirely different parameters). Then TDK Music or equivalent.

3. Indefenite shelf life as an archive source and used only occassionally . Then TDK "Metal"

Regarding points 2. and 3. the greatest problem with cheap disks is that they deteriorate because of what is described as disc cancer. This is a process that results from the aluminium film, that is the burn surface, not being totally or reliably sealed from air which allows the film to oxidise and become damaged and can be seen by holding a disk to light and you can see tiny pinholes of light coming through. The most important surface is really the upper most surface and not the more notable under side optical surface.

The only thing protecting the data surface on the top of cheap discs is really just the printed label . On Disks like TDK Metal the data surface is protected by a specially hard and impervious layer and then the label is printed on to that, plus the disk has a harder optical surface as well. The TDK Music disk has a much harder and scratch resistant surface to be able to cope with extensive use, and a harder data protective layer .

Other quality brands have similar aims.

As the Castrol ads say "All oils ain't oils" . You can say the same about CDs

I use all three types but instead of the cheapos I am using cd-r/rw for reusability more and more. Making huge savings there.

Cheers. John

John is correct in this, and DVDs are even more fragile on top than CDs. Even with Name Brands like TDK and Imation, quality varies from batch to batch.

It is better to go with a brand that is known for quality, whether it is data grade or music grade, than with brand you never heard of before, just cause the price is Real Cheap: You may find that you wasted your money, and end up going with the Name Brand anyways.

Imation is a good brand. I have been using them for some years now, and never had a problem. Data grade, as I don't burn music.

I prefer using RWs for backing up files, formatted as RWs, not burned as Rs. (done from Windows)

I must be lucky with media...I always buy the cheapest rubbish I can, and rarely have trouble. I've got bootlegs (as in live concert recordings made from the audience) burned onto Super Cheapo (disclaimer: not a real brand) media which don't even have a *label* to protect them that were burned three or four years ago and they still work fine. And I've had super-expensive brand-name disks fail to burn properly right out of the box. *shrug*...hard to say, really. Best advice - anything you want to make sure of, burn three copies! The discs are cheap enough.

yea...name brands suck a lot...I got a 10-pack of sonies last year...CD-RWs...4 of 'em burned, none were able to be re-written. Then my bro got a 100 pack of Staples...never had a signel one of 'em fail (except where the burner is at fault...I tried a few times to burn in Linux before I figured out it doesn't work :P...probably a bad driver or something)