Mandrakesoft Back To Profitability

Guest anon

Mandrakesoft achieved an operating income of 0.86 million Euros

($1.14 million) and net income of 1.39 million Euros ($1.85 million)

in Fiscal Year 2003/2004.  Per share, operating income was 0,18 Euros

($0.24 per share) and net income 0.29 Euros ($0.39 per share).

For further details, please see the financial release at

http://www.mandrakesoft.com/company/invest...41201?wslang=en

nice to hear that mandrake will be around for some longer time and not going bankcrupt (although some bad tongues whished that). i had the one year-pleasure to use mandy and it would hurt me to see the distro fade away although i am using a different distro right now... :)

nice to hear that mandrake will be around for some longer time and not going bankcrupt (although some bad tongues whished that). i had the one year-pleasure to use mandy and it would hurt me to see the distro fade away although i am using a different distro right now... :)

Great news.

That French government contract probably helped.

The text of the article suggests a whole year. What year though? UK tax year-end is early April (goes by weeks), accounting year-end is end September / early October (I think).

Then again we ain't in the Euro yet, so who knows about France?

Great to hear either way - from first impressions, I reckon Mandy 10.1 will further cement their future. Solid like :wall:

Francophile bananas rejoice! :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

</sorry>

in Fiscal Year 2003/2004

Mandrake French government contracts:

French Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Mandrakesoft launch “Open Source” solution for Internet in Africa

French Ministry of Equipment chooses Mandrakesoft to migrate 1,500 office and infrastructure Windows NT servers to Linux

By way of comparision, here's some British contracts

John Prescott's £50 million web site is useless crock

MS Windows. Taxpayers money wasted: £50 million

80,000 desktops blue screen at Department of Work and Pensions

MS Windows. £400 million contract with EDS & Microsoft.

National Health Service signs £500 million deal with Microsoft

MS Windows , again.

You can see where this is heading, cant you?

*sigh*

I really must get around to going back to night school and brush up on my French, because we've got a UK government that simply does not understand or want to understand the benefits of Linux. The way things are heading, France will be THE place to be in Europe for Linux development in the next decade. I might be wrong, i've got a strong hunch about it.

Edited by kde-head

it gets worse

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/10/28/egu_oss_policy_v2/

I really must get around to going back to night school and brush up on my French, because we've got a UK government that simply does not understand or want to understand the benefits of Linux. The way things are heading, France will be THE place to be in Europe for Linux development in the next decade. I might be wrong, i've got a strong hunch about it.

I reckon china is going to be an increasingly important market, I can't see them going the microsoft route. France and Germany are possibly wanting to encourage their own indigenous IT as a rival to microsoft. Only a complete idiot would want one company to have so much power, but then we have a bunch of idiots in charge just now don't we. You would have thought after being caught out with that altered word document they would want sometimg a bit more secure.

What happens if somebody's medical records get hacked in to who is liable the medical practice or an NHS which dictates the software is to be used?

I have to use various company web sites rather a lot, when you ask the IT guys they mostly use linux themselves but at work use what they are told to. I think the biggest problem in uk industry is managers dictating policy on IT without knowing enough about it, as well as admin systems designed by people who don't use them. Again most of the admin staff that I speak to are never asked about how they use the systems and what they need. they just get given it and told not to complain.

I have to contend with on line application systems that if I want to alter anything or give instructions I have to fax it to them, wait two days till they scan it on to their system and somebody can deal with it. I can't e-mail because of security reasons. The sheer stuupidity beggars belief. The numpties have got control :wall::wall::wall:

a lot of valid points there gmac. sometimes i feel that the UK gov is walking into an unimaginably huge I.T. disaster.

Meanwhile, the French and Germans are doing their best to start a grassroots Linux industry, independent of Microsoft - which ultimately will have spin-off companies that'll benefit the French and German economies.

The UK strategy will ultimately result in a de-skilling of the UK workforce, badly prepared for the enivitable Chinese technical onslaught that is surely coming.

I really must brush up on my French and get that property in the south of France!

a lot of valid points there gmac. sometimes i feel that the UK gov is walking into an unimaginably huge I.T. disaster.

Meanwhile, the French and Germans are doing their best to start a grassroots Linux industry, independent of Microsoft - which ultimately will have spin-off companies that'll benefit the French and German economies.

The UK strategy will ultimately result in a de-skilling of the UK workforce, badly prepared for the enivitable Chinese technical onslaught that is surely coming.

I really must brush up on my French and get that property in the south of France!

Welcome to the south of France, my friend, if ever you feel like coming and settling there, though I like Scotland it's much warmer down here !

Cheers !