Problems install.. this is my first time using Linux, Help!!

Guest LMK2005

What kind of computer are you trying to install onto and does it allowing booting from a CD-ROM? These are the first two questions that need to be answered.

Check your BIOS to make sure that it is set up correctly to boot from the cd-rom drive.

If all else fails, then you will have to make a boot floppy and boot from that in order to do an install. A boot floppy can be made form within windows. Insert the Mandrake CD and follow the directions for creating the boot floppy.

Insert the Mandrake CD and follow the directions for creating the boot floppy.

he said he had redhat 7.2...

My suggestion would be to get your hands on mandrake 9.0...it'll be a lot easier to work with. especially here. we are all mandrake users and if you have problems with mandrake, it will be much easier to get help.

Insert the Mandrake CD and follow the directions for creating the boot floppy.

he said he had redhat 7.2...

My suggestion would be to get your hands on mandrake 9.0...it'll be a lot easier to work with. especially here. we are all mandrake users and if you have problems with mandrake, it will be much easier to get help.

Oops, guess I didn't read the post carefully enough. I agree, download Mandrake 9.0 adn try to install that. However, the points that I made are still valid. Check the bios and make sure that everything is set up to boot from cd. Otherwise, if it is not, then you will have the same problems with mandrake as you are having with red hat.

If you want to stick with red hat then why not at least download the latest version - 8.0. This could solve a lot of your problems.

Guest defunct

We deal with more than just Mandrake or try to at least. I'm the one who referred him here, he set the BIOS to boot from the cd but said it still told him to insert boot media i thought maybe he didn't make the cd bootable but i wouldn't know about this.. he said he downloaded the .iso's though.

As long as he downloaded the proper ISOs and they are not corrupted and he is using a fairly recent burning program, then the cd's should be bootable. You do not need to do anything in order to make them bootable.

However, if he unpacked the ISOs and then burned the unpacked version, then the CDs will not be bootable.

How did he burn the CDs and what kind of hardware is he running. These two questions need to be answered before we can help him.

Guest janslow

I had the same problem as LMK2005, Mandrake ISO not booting from the CD...Turns out the problem was that I had burned the CD using the integrated CD-R software of WinXP, which I later found out would not support ISO9660.

TweakUI for Windows XP is available from Microsoft (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp), as well as other programs and patches from other resources.