How I got sound working

Guest linux_or_bust

Guest linux_or_bust

I have a IBM 600e TP, with the Cirrus Crystalclear Soundfusion audio card installed. When I installed Mandrake 10.1 CE, the sound card did not work, although it was found in the hardware detection. I found out, through an enormous amout of searching on Google, that the card is incorrectly identified by Linux as CS4610. The correct driver is snd-cs4236. The instructions I found were not very clear, and did not help very much, so this is how I got it working...

1. Disabled Quick Boot in the BIOS

2. Installed ALSAMIXER, and ALSA in RPM installer

3. Opened the console, signed in as root, and used alsaconf

4. Alsaconf then found the card, and probed the snd-cs4236 driver (the correct one)

5. Opened MCC, went into Services, and made sure alsa was running

6. I then opened KMIX and adjusted the volume

I then had sound. A lot of posts advise using sndconfig, but everytime I used it, it showed an unknown card, and would then exit, it was no help.

As I recall, I had to use alsaconf a couple of times before the card was found, it kept saying "no legacy cards found". I would restart, and finally it would probe the driver. Also, I did not use the hardware detection to install the driver, I tried doing that, but it would not work.

Hope this helps, this is the way I did it, have fun!

i found a similar post earlier like yours. i've got an uber-old ibm thinkpad 600. i did a

urpmi alsa-utils

as root. Then i used alsaconf and it found it in the isa card section first time. I also disabled the quickboot in the bios. i found that getting the lastest bios updates really improved the performance of the laptop as well.

• 2 months later...

Hi together,

finally I was able to configure the soundcard of my TP 600E under mdk 10.1, but now I have still the problem, that the config is lost after a restart and the microphone / line in doesn't work. So I want to ask, if someone who has got a correct working system could post his /etc/modprobe.conf and the /etc/modules.conf or is someone here with another tip?

Thanks and regards from Germany....