Problem 'making' gentoo [SOLVED]

Scotty

bvc: that output wouldn't be normal the *first* time you run make, but it would be entirely normal the *second* time, because there's nothing left for make to do! That's what the 'Nothing to be done' means, it means everything make has been told to do in that directory is already done.

scotty: "Sooo after ./configure, make, make install, going to the root dir and typing 'gentoo' results in "no such command". I assumed then it wasn't installed?"

That would suggest it wasn't properly installed, yeah. Did you run make install as root? If you did, maybe it just puts itself in a weird place or something. If you're still interested in what the problem was, go to the directory where you built gentoo and look around for a file just called 'gentoo'. Go the the directory it's in and try calling it directly with ./gentoo . If you don't care any more now you have tree-view nautilus, never mind :)

soulse: actually, it should be this:

$ ./configure
$ make
$ su
# make install

Only the make install needs to be run as root. Everything else should be do in your home dir as yourself, for safety's sake.

The output suggests that the make process was successful, so what do you mean by 'doesn't work'? Bear in mind that make only builds the software, it doesn't install it. You can't just type 'gentoo' after running 'make'. You can find the binary that was built and run it - often, it'll be in the directory where you issued 'make', so in that case you can just do './gentoo' - or you can become root and do 'make install', which will install it system-wide and should let you run it with a simple 'gentoo'.

:screwy:

Can you give me an example of something getting messed up because you ran the first two commands in su? It really isn't that big a risk... in fact I'd go so far as to say it isn't a risk at all.

Anyway, This thread is solved :beer:

I had confidence that the end user would have notice that compared to the first time they ran 'make'. The first time I ran 'make' my results were diff. Pretty simple. I've ran LFS long enough to know :D

SouSE, i'ts said, that compiling as root may allow a build to continue that should otherwise fail. Then the app runs and crashed the computer. Hogwash, basically :mr-green:

Well I've deleted the directory where I installed Gentoo from, but I did (before the delete) try and find it by using the "find files" in the Gnome menu. It turned up nothing... I did get the feeling tho that that was not working as I exprected it too... [shrug]

Thanks for trying..