Problem 'making' gentoo [SOLVED]

Scotty

Hi people,

I realised I have no file manager installed in Mandrake 10.1/Gnome, so I got a hold of gentoo (any better suggestion welcomed). But after commanding ./configure... make says this

[root@fierra gentoo-0.11.53]# make

make  all-recursive

make[1]: Entering directory `/home/sjm/downloads/gentoo-0.11.53'

Making all in intl

make[2]: Entering directory `/home/sjm/downloads/gentoo-0.11.53/intl'

make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all'.

make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/sjm/downloads/gentoo-0.11.53/intl'

Making all in m4

make[2]: Entering directory `/home/sjm/downloads/gentoo-0.11.53/m4'

make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/sjm/downloads/gentoo-0.11.53/m4'

Making all in icons

make[2]: Entering directory `/home/sjm/downloads/gentoo-0.11.53/icons'

make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/sjm/downloads/gentoo-0.11.53/icons'

Making all in po

make[2]: Entering directory `/home/sjm/downloads/gentoo-0.11.53/po'

make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/sjm/downloads/gentoo-0.11.53/po'

Making all in widgets

make[2]: Entering directory `/home/sjm/downloads/gentoo-0.11.53/widgets'

make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/sjm/downloads/gentoo-0.11.53/widgets'

Making all in src

make[2]: Entering directory `/home/sjm/downloads/gentoo-0.11.53/src'

make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/sjm/downloads/gentoo-0.11.53/src'

make[2]: Entering directory `/home/sjm/downloads/gentoo-0.11.53'

make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/sjm/downloads/gentoo-0.11.53'

make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/sjm/downloads/gentoo-0.11.53'

and it don't work... anyone able to tell me what's going wrong?

Also as an aside (maybe I need another thread?) after installing an app, how do you know what it's command is??????

Thanks - you guys rock! :D

Edited by Scotty

I believe that Scotty is referring to a file manager called gentoo rather than anything to do with the distro of the same name...

Sorry - can't actually help with your problem, but just thought I'd bring some clarity. A couple of things though - since you ask for file manager suggestions I would suggest mc (midnight commander). Also do you have any other error messages? There isn't much to work with in the output you've given

Whoah, that was confusing for a while :P

Uh, you should have a file-manager out-of-the-box with Mandrake, that was installed as part of your Desktop Environment / Window Manager. But, if we're bent on getting this compiled, and you can't urpmi it, the correct procedure for compiling something should be:

# ./configure
# make
# make install

But, since you're using Mandrake, urpmi will be best, so set up your sources for that. Try using Google to find 'easy urpmi' - click on the first page that pops up and configure your urpmi sources for Mandrake.

gentoo is actually very nice and functional once it's all setup. It's just too ugly for me, well, last i used it it was still gtk1.2 and not gtk2 yet. That's what it is ....a glorified, gui, MC. Remember gmc? Gentoo took off where gmc was killed. It's nice. I think I'll see how it's doing :banana:

[root@localhost root]# urpmi gentoo

ftp://ftp.proxad.net/pub/Distributions_Linux/Mandrakelinux/devel/cooker/i586/media/contrib/gentoo-0.11.53-1mdk.i586.rpm
       0% of 771k completed, ETA = 0:46:18, speed = 284         0% of 771k completed, ETA = 0:15:48, speed = 20685         29% of 771k completed, ETA = 0:00:14, speed = 205k         75% of 771k completed, ETA = 0:00:02, speed = 277k         100% of 771k completed, ETA = --:--:--, speed = 276k  installing /var/cache/urpmi/rpms/gentoo-0.11.53-1mdk.i586.rpm
Preparing...                ##################################################
  1:gentoo                 ##################################################
Note
If you are updating from a previous version, at first lanch select Configure
and Save to update ~.gentoorc to current version.
[root@localhost root]#

whoa! yup.....still gtk1 :geek:

Edited by bvc

soulse: actually, it should be this:

$ ./configure
$ make
$ su
# make install

Only the make install needs to be run as root. Everything else should be do in your home dir as yourself, for safety's sake.

The output suggests that the make process was successful, so what do you mean by 'doesn't work'? Bear in mind that make only builds the software, it doesn't install it. You can't just type 'gentoo' after running 'make'. You can find the binary that was built and run it - often, it'll be in the directory where you issued 'make', so in that case you can just do './gentoo' - or you can become root and do 'make install', which will install it system-wide and should let you run it with a simple 'gentoo'.

Edited by adamw

Yes Gentoo the file manager. not the disto..

I thought that the "nothing to do" was telling me there was an error :)

Sooo after ./configure, make, make install, going to the root dir and typing 'gentoo' results in "no such command". I assumed then it wasn't installed?

Maybe it is... how do I start it?

but hey if it's ugly.. maybe I wont bother. I couldn't find any file managers in the menu in gnome, so I went to Rpmdrake, and searched for "file manager" and found nothing :wall: There must be some on the CD's (10.1 offical release - not boxed set) but don't know how else to find them.

I'll have a look for nautilis and read those threads posted above by bvc... thanks.

when I compiled it I got the "nothing to do" for about half the dirs in the source tree, which is normal. It's not normal for all though. When I got to the widgets dir gcc went to work.

make[2]: Entering directory `/home/sjm/downloads/gentoo-0.11.53/widgets'

In the gnome menu, go>System>File Tools

You should have a Home dir on the desktop. Clicking that opens nautilus. Rt-clicking it>Browse Folder will give you the traditional two pane browser. The links I posted will explain how to get that at all times. I use both nautilus views.

Edited by bvc

In the gnome menu, go>System>File Tools

You should have a Home dir on the desktop. Clicking that opens nautilus. Rt-clicking it>Browse Folder will give you the traditional two pane browser. The links I posted will explain how to get that at all times. I use both nautilus views.

Still don't understand why I couldn't install/run gentoo but that no longer matters. Your links are very informative thanks :)

The traditional two pane browser is what I was after....

:thanks:

you are welcome!

If you want to check out gentoo, open a terminal and do

wget ftp://ftp.proxad.net/pub/Distributions_Linux/Mandrakelinux/official/10.1/i586/media/contrib/gentoo-0.11.51-2mdk.i586.rpm

then su to root and do

rpm -ivh gentoo-0.11.51-2mdk.i586.rpm

then run;

gentoo &

or find it in the gnome menu>System>File Tools

or add the source media as root with

urpmi.addmedia contrib ftp://ftp.proxad.net/pub/Distributions_Linux/Mandrakelinux/official/10.1/i586/media/contrib with media_info/hdlist.cz

and do;

urpmi gentoo

which you could have found out at http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/

Edited by bvc