Mail server question

red

I'm back! And more frustrated/comfused than ever.

My question is pretty simple, (at least I think it is) but the soultion seems to be eluding me at every turn.

I have a simple server set up for a friend of mine that I would like to have send informative messages to me via e-mail. this was working earlier, however the e-mails are now being returned indicating that I cannot connect directly to the mail server (my isp mail server) and that i should relay messages through their mail server (smtp.myisp.net). Well that is not really the desired behavior.

What is going to be the simplest way to have the desired messages sent to me via my ISP e-mail address. I was under the impression that sendmail and postfix could handle this, however I seem to be having rouble with the configuration. I also understand the 2 mentioned apps ARE mail servers and should be able to send messages to any e-mail address.

Is there some other app I should be using?

Please enlighten me!

Thanks in advance.

RED

You just gotta love log files. It appears that my server IS working properly, but my ISP and web host mail servers are rejecting the e-mails. showing these entries:

to=<my_email_address@my_isp>, relay=isp_mail_gateway[isp_mail_gateway_IP], delay=4, status=bounced (host isp_mail_gateway[isp_mail-gateway_IP] said: 550-my_IP_address blocked by blacklist.mail.ops.xxx.xxx.xxx. 550 my_ISP subscribers are no longer permitted to directly connect to this mail server. To send email to other my_ISP subscribers, you may forward messages through my_isp_smtp_mailserver (in reply to MAIL FROM command))

AND

to=<my_email_address@my_webhost>, relay=my_webhost_server[my_webhost_server_IP], delay=1, status=bounced (my_webhost_server[my_webhost_server_IP] said: 550-Verification failed for <root@mylinuxbox> 550-unrouteable mail domain "my_inranet_domain" 550 Sender verify failed (in reply to RCPT TO command))

Any Ideas how to handle this one?

Thanks.

I am using Postfix...sendmail I just couldn't seem to get configured to do anything at all.

This is exactly where I need help with configuration. It seems postfix is actually sending the message but my ISP mail server and web host mail server are rejecting it. Oddly enough it went through my hotmail account...go figure.

I keep seeing "relay" pop up in messages and web searches relating to this issue and I am unsure that is my desired behavior. Maybe i should explain what i beleive should happen and what I "think" I am seeing and maybe someone can tell me what is incorrect about the whole idea.

The desired behavior is to have my server send an e-mail addressed to my isp or webhost e-mail addresses. In theory, this should be possible, as we do it all the time. from one server to another. Such as from my isp e-mail to my web host e-mail, which involves one server accepting a message from the other and depositing it in the mailbox of the correct user.

I think I have achieved something different though. It seems that I have successfully created the message, but it is trying to deliver it THROUGH (relay?) my isp mail server instead of TO my isp mail server. Does any of this make sense?

I really don't think this is such a big deal, in fact it seems like it could/should be very simple, I just have not configured something correctly.

Thanks,

RED :wall:

Edited by red