One WM session for each monitor

Steve Scrimpshire

This tutorial is mentioning VGA and TVout, but it works with two VGA, also:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=1...der=asc&start=0

Pros:

I can move my mouse to the left to get to the second monitor

I can play NWN or UT2004 fullscreen without having to restart X with single monitor configuration

Cons

Can't drag windows across monitors

Lose access to the second monitor while in NWN (assuming the same for all games). Note that I can still see anything going on in second monitor

I'm using Fluxbox, so your results may vary depending on your DE/WM.

Also, optimally, what I would like is to have fluxbox's Workspace One on one monitor and Workspace Two on second monitor (so I can still drag windows between and I can just Alt-F2 to get access to processes on second monitor while playing games). If anyone knows how to do that, please fill me in.

Well, I had hunted and hunted for it spelled out this understandably, with example sections for xorg.conf. Maybe you could post an example of your projector setup and how to have different input devices for different monitors.

• 3 weeks later...

Duh... nag me when I forget steve....

Ill post one soon :D (when I get home which won't be tonight)

However fundamentally its the same as having a remote login...

you need to specifiy 2 distinct displays as opposed to just the default tty7. My problem at the moment seems to be when I am running in one display... It seems unpredicatable which is initialised first ...

the projector bulb is expensive and on couintdown so I try and keep it switched off when not using it... and by default I use TV out from the XBOX (running linux too)

I copied an old 2 display config file last night and it didn't work but i know it used to work... (it was backed up before a reinstall)...

so ill post it even though it doesn't work...since it used to???

The 2nd mouse part is quite easy, its like having a mouse and tablet or mouse and lirc remote at the same time... which is what I have on the XBOX so Ill try and remember to post that too...

(this is a aid for me to remember as well)