port problems in azureus [solved]

Bizk

hi there guys, how do you do? well, i got a problem over here. i am using mdk 10 official (gnome 2.4) and today i have downloaded azureus, which is a bittorrent client (right?). anyway, i finished its and java installations and when i ran it in the first time, i had to configure some stuff. ok, during this configuration i had to test the bittorrent port, since the default port(6881) was recommended, i tested it. unfortunately, the result was nat error. does anybody know what the hell it means? how do i fix it? and what did i do wrong?

you need to forward ports 6881-6890 to your desktop pc from your router.

Give your computer a static ip address - eg 192.168.0.10 then use your routers web interface to forward the ports to that address.

Alternatively you could make 192.168.0.10 a DMZ - all ports are forwarded there. If you do that make sure you setup your firewall because your computer will be open to the internet.

Don't know if this will help you but I had the transparency proxy problem with my ISP. BTW I use Guarddog firewall. I trawled some websites and now do this as root.......

iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -p tcp --dport 6881:6889 -j DNAT --to- (current address)

With the 6881-6889 ports enabled in guarddog, my torrent is fine.

HTH

D

actually, yes - i also have windows xp but i haven't downloaded or tried it on it, but i once ran there ABC (a bittorrent client) and it went well. then, what do you think the problem is, doc'?  B)  :D

Azureus will still work if it has NAT problems, it would just work better without them. I'd suggest trying azureus on windows and seeing if you get the same problem. If you do, doing the port forwarding thing will make azureus (and ABC) work better in both windows and linux

yesterday, i was on my xp and checked if either abc or azureus worked fine on it. fortunately, everything ran just fine. ok, now i understand that i have to do the port forwarding thing. however, i don't have any idea how the hell it is done. i will be thankful if you give me instructions on how to do that exactly.

• 5 months later...

Well....I've read all this stuff about port forwarding, but not sure how to do it. I came across this:

iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -p tcp --dport 6881:6889 -j DNAT --to- <host>

But I am not behind a firewall...I am connected directly to the net (Mandrake firewall isnt running either - but i still get the NAT error). I want to use this command, but what do I put for <HOST> if i am not behind a firewall???

The easiest way in KDE is to do the following:

System/Configuration/Configure Your Computer/Security/Firewall

Click Advanced button, and in the box below type 6881/tcp (this is the port Azureus uses).

I've only ever had to just enabled 6881, rather than any other ports in between up to 6890.

Sounds to me you have your firewall enabled in Mandrake. Either add the port, or tick the box Everything(No Firewall).

Or, check in System/Services whilst your in Configure Your Computer and see if "Shorewall" is running.

Edited by ianw1974