USB ADSL Modem [SOLVED]

Scotty

Hi people,

Just installed MDK 10 after a long time away with Windows. Since then USB has arrived...nice.

Anyway... How do I install a USB ADSL modem? I used the confingure app in KDE, but under DSL it only has one option which is an ehternet... I have done a search in this fourm for "USB" but nothing!?

Any help.. or link to a place where I could get a "how to" would be much appreciated.

Thanks muchly

Edited by Scotty

Hi people,

Anyway... How do I install a USB ADSL modem?

I think you will need to let the board know what kind of modem (make/model) - also search under these headings.

If its the Speedtouch330 :wall::cheeky: hehe, seriously though, you'll find tons of info - but check out Tips and Tricks on this board, and the post started by lets-eat-gary.

Edited by ChrisM

I think you will need to let the board know what kind of modem (make/model) - also search under these headings.

:oops: I'll do a search..

It's a Dynalink DSL-200 (the new slim one). I have been searching the net and grabed a beta driver of sorts. I can only hope there are instructions that come with it.

Would I be better off buying a Ethernet modem? Seems they are easy to set up? Also my provider uese PPPoA. Is that easy to set up?

:thanks:

Scotty

Hey Scotty, no worries, just helps if people know what they need to help out with :D

As for your modem, I've no idea :P but others here might.

As for the ethernet question, if you don't want to mess around with drivers then, yes, absolutely. But that is only IMO. And some people would rather dive in and get dirty. For me, migrating straight from M$ it was initially more important to get my set up working and conncted to the Net - I had a speedtouch which was a nightmare to work, it took forever, I did eventually get it 'to get going' but performance was markedly down, and it conflicted with the firewall as I recall. Basically it was a real nightmare :evilmod: over many weeks.

I invested in an ethernet modem/router and it was up and running very quickly - once I'd read the hardware set up instructions and used MDK wizard (not difficult) I'm on PPPoA - no problems at all. :thumbs:

yep, agree entirely - there are some things that just work better in hardware, and talking to your ISP is one of them :). get a router, save the hassle.

Ok... so yeah any advice on brand?

I downloaded the eciadsl driver for the d-link DLS-200 in windows at work, saved it to a CD and took it home. Bloody thing wouldn't even extract! Ark said it wasn't a valid archive.. :angry:

USB has me stumped, but if I can just get on-line and I can trouble shoot from home, and not work!

Also, in the wizard, there is no service providors provided for Australia? So what do I do? Just pic anything or do I have to do it from the command line?

:thanks: you guys rock!!

I use Netgear router (cable, not wireless) :thumbs:

When I installed/configured my router, I don't even think it asked for the details of my service provider. It does ask though if you are PPPoA/E and some other basic info which yopu will have from your ISP.

Edited by ChrisM

Problem solved...

$160 later, and I have a D-Link DSL-504G (DSL modem and 4 port Routher) and I am netting away! Now to work out USB  :wall:

Thanks again

Hi, I personally use a netgear DG 834, which is a router on which can be connected up to 4 boxes. It's very good indeed, does all it is meant to do, and has a Great look, in case you're something of an "art" lover..

Cheers !!

USB modems, imho, are real s**t ! :evilmod: