gnome panel with fluxbox

beesea

My FluxBox setup... lemme tell you switching between apps could not be any easier. you need a good pager:

http://desk3d.sourceforge.net/

and

http://www.isomedia.com/homes/stevencooper...r/projects.html

and maybe an app to let you put icons on your desktop:

http://linuxhelp.hn.org/idesk.php

and a super heavy duty gkrellm, and I'm set. I use konqueror and konsole a lot for working with files and opera to browse the web. I think the cool thing about blackbox and fluxbox is that you can design the GUI yourself.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

here's what mine looks like:

gkrellShoot_01_06_03_174818.sized.jpg

and the 3d pager in action

gkrellShoot_01_06_03_175043.sized.jpg

in the last one you can see gaim running on one desktop and opera on the other and Xchat on the desktop I just zoomed out from.

How did you get your fluxbox looking so cool... That is very wicked, but what I mean is that you cant see all your open apps on the "taskbar" and easily switch between the 2 by just clicking on the icon in the taskbar.

eg when I surf I often do a million other things 2. I normally run minimum 2 apps per desktop and I use 4. Now when Xchat is maximised on desktop 2 and xmms behind it it is not all that easy to switch to xmms. In KDE and Gnome all you do is click the icon on the taskbar and you switch.

As for IceWM I find that often it causes the system to do funny things that otherwise normally dont happen with other WMs. eg. I press CTRL + ALT + BCKspace to kill the X-server, but then my keyboard doesnt respond once the X-server has died.

Also seem to have to restart the X-server more often with it when doing just normal things... So yeah... I dunno. maybe its just with MDK 9. But I'm still using it which says alot for IceWM...!!

The slit is just a central place to stuff all your little apps, like dockapps in other WM's like WindowMaker. DockApps are little programs that run and all have the same size. If you run them in the slit, they all stick to one place instead of being all over your screen. picture being in KDE and having a second panel. though instead of running across the bottom of the screen, this one runs along the side, and has apps that look like this:

http://dockapps.org/

In my screenshot however, I run gkrellm in the slit. That is because I wanted to give it rights like always on top, and I wanted to see it on every desktop.

And to keep you from being discouraged, check out these screenshots!!!!!

http://fluxbox.sourceforge.net/screenshots.php

Now when Xchat is maximised on desktop 2 and xmms behind it it is not all that easy to switch to xmms. In KDE and Gnome all you do is click the icon on the taskbar and you switch.
Just click the tittlebar of xchat with a thumb or wheel button to display what's behind it. Or go next to the taskbar and click the wheel buttom to display the workspaces menu>select the workspace you're>and click on xmms.

I still dont know what the slit in fluxbox is...!!
Open ~/.fluxbox/init and look at the config lines for the slit;

session.screen0.slit.onHead:	0

session.screen0.slit.direction:	Vertical

session.screen0.slit.autoHide:	False

session.screen0.slit.placement:	BottomRight

session.screen0.slit.onTop:	True

Set yours like mine> open a term and type;

gkrellm -w

gkrellm should start in the slit, in the bottom rt. Now, move your mouse all the way over to the screen edge on top of gkrellm and rt click. You should get the config options for the slit.

Look at ezrollers screenshot...it's the long skinny monitoring tool (among other things) on the rt. You don't have to run it...there're dock apps for windowmaker that work in the slit, and I think afterstep's dock apps work in it as well. Oh, and maybe epplets for Enlightenment???

AA you need this line atthe end of your /home/yournamehere/.fluxbox/init file:

session.screen0.rootCommand:	sh /home/yournamehere/.fluxbox/autostart.sh

And in your ./fluxbox create a file called autostart.sh

in that file, any apps you put there will start up. here's what mine looks like.

idesk > /dev/null &

Esetroot -s /stuff/PICS/DIGIMAGEZ/3196-Screen01.JPG &

gkrellm -w &

fluxter &

3ddeskd &

3desktop &

3desktop --aquire &

you can see that I start idesk to have my icons, gkrellm in the slit, Esetroot changes the background image, fluxter is a pager, and 3ddesktop enables screenshot 2 above.