gnome panel with fluxbox

beesea

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see how to do it? I'm assuming you've got it to run in flux, just not on-top. If not, put

gnome-settings-daemon

in your startup script, and gnome-panel as well, but it has to be loaded after the settings-daemon.

If you do gnome-panel --help, there's a few options that may help;

Session management

--sm-client-id=ID                      Specify session management ID

--sm-config-prefix=PREFIX              Specify prefix of saved configuration

--sm-disable                        Disable connection to session manage

I'm pretty sure it's possible, it's just a matter of finding what gnome wants running that sets it. Rt clicking the panel and gconf-editor don't even show "on top" as an option. So the question IS...how does gnome2 know?

i completely forgot about that forum. i'll make a post there too.

I'm assuming you've got it to run in flux, just not on-top

that's correct

anyways, i tried messing around with the --sm options and none of them seem to work. i'll admit though, i'm not really sure what those options are looking for.

If you can get the gnome panel to run in the slit, you can add the option to the slits properties to always keep it on top. the same would be true for kde's panel or whatever you run in the slit.

In fluxbox you have something called the slit. If you run a program with the -w switch, it will start up in a little box. you can't move the box, or put things on top of it. I run gkrellm in my slit. (i did that so I could see gkrellm on every desktop.)

Try this in a terminal, you'll see what I mean:

gkrellm -w

The gnome "panel" in 1.4, "gnome-panel" in 2, and "kicker" in kde will not run in the slit with a simple "-w". The only other way I can think to try is to either, run it as the root command;

session.screen0.rootCommand: gnome-panel -w

or a autostart.sh script (aru) called as the root command;

session.screen0.rootCommand: ~/.fluxbox/autostart.sh

with gnome-panel -w in "autostart.sh".

Still probably won't go in the slit....just not meant to.

AA, the kde panel can be called with "kicker". Open a term and type kicker or put kicker in your starup script, i.e. ~/.xinitrc.

Besides...why?...doesn't it defeat the purple of running a light wm? Start'em up and watch you mem go bye-bye.

I can see why he's doing it, I think he's just playing around with the possibilities, but your right. system resources go right out the window the second you start anything KDE or Gnome. Its all the services you inadvertantly start in the background calling up that simple little panel.

Aside from the that, I can tell you its very annoying to only have the panel on one desktop.

my problem isn't that the gnome panel isn't on all desktops, its that it isn't "always on top." i asked about this on the gnome forum and on the fluxbox forum but to no success. i wouldn't run the panel in the slit either because i don't want my slit to be always on top. also, i don't think either the gnome-panel or kicker run in withdrawn mode anyway.

system resources go right out the window the second you start anything KDE or Gnome.

yeah i know, i'd like to use a rox panel but that goes across the whole screen. with the gnome-panel, i don't use an edge panel, but a sliding panel that holds seven launchers. i switched the size down to 24 pixels, but i still get overlap from some apps. fluxbox starts up slower, but i don't notice any further a penality in performance

Ok... I am still confused... I just started with fluxbox... its still very new to me... What is the slit...?

I have discovered a WM than has the functionality of KDE and Gnome but not quite as system intensive. IceWM. >>> Once you figure out how to configure it and stuff its pretty cool.

My problem with fluxbox is that it is so difficult to do simple things like switching between apps or desktops. Sure there are shortcut keys and blah blah blah you're all gonna give me many reasons why it is easy but honestly... It is a GaJillion times easier to switch between apps in KDE or Gnome and thats what makes them so popular. I think thats where IceWM fits in nicely, its just a little unstable...!!