Updating KDE . . . 3.2 - 3.3

LTD602

I've got MDK 10 Official, using KDE 3.2.1, I think. I noticed a couple of cool little features in KDE 3.3 that I'd like to have.

So, how can I update to KDE 3.3? I don't want to get MDK 10.1 and do a whole new install. Are there any small update files available?

OR . . .

Is there a quick and easy way to update from MDK10 - 10.1 Official? I'd like to keep all my personal files an dsettings intact, for the most part.

I'd appreciate any help.

there were many posts on this topic in this forum. use the search tool next time. ;)

you can add kde 3.3 by e.g. adding the cooker repositories to your sources list with easyurpmi (look with google for its adress). there you should be able to grab kde 3.3.1. but beware! it is cooker! it might break your box.

you can update your box from e.g mdk10.0 to 10.1 OE with easyurpmi, too. just set up the mirrors as explained on the easyurpmi site, then open a terminal and type

su

then enter the root password

then type urpmi --auto-select

mdk will now look for all updated packages that are on the mirrors and do a complete update. this might take some time (~500+ MB of data transfer, depending on your system setup)

if you have more questions, look in the forums and in case you do not find any valuable hints there, ask your questions :)

good luck. :thumbs:

hehehe :D

this problem is also well known. if you update the box, use a desktop like e.g. icewm as root and remove all hidden kde and qt folders in the /home directories and the /root directory. then update your box. this should solve the problem.

KDE 3.3 is included with 10.1 offcial download (look at 4th CD)...

Since 10.1 OE is still only available to club members we have no way of verifying that there will be a 4th cd made available to the public (and as such, any links to a 4th cd will be removed until it is verified), but looking at the 10.1 mirror (proxad and carroll) the only kdebase file that is there is kdebase-3.2.3-128mdk which says to me that it will not be offered as a general download.

Liquid: that's because the mirrors carry the official main and contrib trees, and the KDE in the official tree is 3.2. The status of the 3.3 on CD4 is basically that it's a 'bonus'; it's not part of the main tree and it's not supported. If a fourth CD is shipped with the free download version I expect the bonus KDE 3.3 packages will be in there.

Don't update *anything* from 10.1 to Cooker unless you're going to update everything. Really. I mean it. Cooker moved to a non-backwards compatible version of perl last week so trying to selectively update 10.1 from Cooker (which is never supported or recommended anyway) is definitely not going to be pretty.

I agree with you there, if a 4th cd is made available, they will be on there. I have the powerpack, so I know they are included there.

Historically, there has not been a 4th cd offered for public download. This cd has only been offered for club members. But most of the packages that are included on the 4th cd usually end up in a 'main' urpmi source shortly after the download edition is released to the public.

So...in short; LTD602: If you wait a bit, kde 3.3(.1) rpms will be available for you from somewhere. We're just not too sure where they will be ATM.

The kde3.3 RPMs wouldn't go into the main tree of 10.1OE. That tree is already determined and frozen in stone (and on the mirrors) and it contains kde 3.2. Some may wind up in the 10.1CE tree, I suppose, or they may be stuck in some special directory somewhere. (There's nothing to *stop* a mirror maintainer grabbing the packages off the Club image and putting them in a dedicated directory right now, actually). But they wouldn't go in main.

Weren't there four CDs for the public release of 10.0? I don't remember, I never download the things...

dave: there's no official public answer to that - it ought to be quite soon, as the boxed sets started shipped yesterday, and it's around a month since it went out to the club. BTW, it's only the ISOs that aren't currently publicly available, there's nothing at all to stop you doing an FTP install.