broken menus in Mandrake 10.1 official

Guest Adriano

Guest Adriano

I've done a "dirty install" of 10.1 official by downloading the tree, burning a dvd and installing without deleting my /home.

Problems: the menus and menudrake are behaving really badly: if I modify _anything in menudrake, all the normal icons in the menu disappear and I get only folder icons. If I use the simplified menu, I get it in English (I want it in italian). If I translate it, I get double icons, one in italian, one in english. I've tried deleting everything relevant in my .home, but as soon as I do something (say, I want to add firefox to the menus) it breaks again. Has anybody seen this behaviour?

Note: after a while of this, I deleted _everything_ in my /home but the backup folders (mail, docs, files). Behaviour goes on.

Edited by Adrianovaroli

Witha dirty isntall like that, I could be enarly anything. what I would sugest is going into the kde control center and choosing a different icon set. It could be that your setting from the old install are still there and you have selected an icon set that isn't in mandy 10.1

That's the only idea that comes to mind.

As for the duplicate antries, I find it easier to use the menu editor than the comand line.

Guest Adriano

thing is, it's not that dirty anymore... The / partition (where /etc was) was formatted; I deleted almost every .file and .dir in my user's home and in root's, except for my mail, and I did the process again... Still not working.

What wm/de? KDE needs the updates (70+ files/rpms).

Aside from that, instead of deleting stuff in your user's homedir, just create a new user and see if that account works; that way you're sure to have the right (well, intended) setup.

Maybe some skeleton files are missing? /etc/skel I think..

Guest Adriano

OK, momentarily fixed by deleting anything starting with menu or .menu in my home folder, then using menudrake, selecting "all environments", then "follow sysadmin's settings", then update-menus-ing -v. Maybe not in that exact order. But this is sickening anyways. I shouldn't have been forced to do this just because I wanted some custom icon or program in my user's menu.

Guest Adriano

Fun fact #1: did you know it is impossible (for me at least) to get the "Documentation" menu out of the "Other apps" menu and into the main? Have tried every way I could think, as a normal user and then root. This goes back to 10.0, I think.

If you want to edit menus it's probably best to pick KDE's menu system (whether you use the MDK menu system or the DE's original system is an option in menudrake). The mdk menu system doesn't really like to be edited. This should all be a distant bad memory quite soon, once the freedesktop.org menu standard is properly adopted by everyone MDK will move to it. The devs hate the current menu system too, they can't wait to move. :)