KDE 3.2 => 3.3 on Mandrake 10.1 fresh install

Guest macavity

Guest macavity

10.1 Official Download Edition just after install. No network at all. Only 4 CDs. I want to upgrade to KDE 3.3 but i cant find the way... :juggle:

Edited by macavity

Well Mandrakesoft clearly does not promote KDE 3.3. You need to add the KDE folder on the 4th CD yourself as a source in the Mandrake Control Center. Once that is done you have to select all KDE 3.3 packages for installation yourself.

I've done it, and it works. However there are still some problems with it. I tried to install Firefox. Didn't work. Tried to install Mozilla, didn't work. Did not spent much time trying though. Just the fact that the RPMs don't work is already bad enough for me.

Result: except of my test system, I will not do the effort to update to 10.1. Just don't see enough added value to do the effort. I'll stick with 10.0 for the moment.

Ciao,

Sitor

well, for what its worth, I just did a fresh install of 10.1CE and added the mandrake club club-contrib sources to get KDE 3.3.1, and it does cause problems. I am now getting a freaky X server and my keyboard does not work, but the mouse does. This is on a laptop and neither my external PS2 or builtin keyboard will respond. I'm ok as long as I dont need to type anything. X is consuming about 60% of the machine's resources, which it didnt do while I was running KDE3.2.

Guess the lesson is to stay away from 3.3 for now.

Robert