css issues of my site

aRTee

Guest Adriano

Oh, yeah: why don't I comment on what looks wrong when checking your page with explorer, since I'm so smart: 'cause I'm on Linux, it's 2 in the morning, I have to sleep and the prospect of rebooting into windows makes me feel sick. Will do it tomorrow morning (that is, in 6 or 7 hours)... Buona notte e a domani (good night and see you tomorrow).

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mille grazie per i link e l'informazione, non c'e problema se non vuoi giocare con windows alle due di notte - io non ho mai voglia, neanche al lavoro, lavoro con Linux.

(Thanks a lot for the links and the info, no problem if you don't want to play with windows at 2 am - I never feel like it, not even at work, I work with Linux.)

I will give your links a look, and see what I can do.

Disregarding IE, what do you guys all think of the new look?

The 3 pages that have the new look are the homepage, the acquisition page and the 10.1 review page.

Edited by aRTee

Guest Adriano

It looks very nice. Only problem, though, is that it feels very heavy on the download and mouse (I've got ADSL and it still feels "heavy"). Have you tried compressing the background images a bit?

EDIT: tested again and it doesn't. Probably a memoryof what it was before fixing the page, sorry.

Edited by Adrianovaroli

Well, I'm going to change the background images in any case (that's at the top of my list, after updating the pages to the new shape), but right now they are jpg's at 75% quality (I think) - I could reduce the quality setting somewhat, that should improve the speed.

Any other opinions? Guys?

Guest Adriano

Ok, tested with IE 5.01 (IE 5.5 and 6 crashed for other reasons...) and it looks the same, with the only difference that the "background: fixed" trick doesn't work: when scrolling, the background of the text flows up or down instead of staying fixed.

And I noticed that in the Mandrake review, the first title shows a bit of its blue as you can see on the image attached.

Congrats. It's simply a good work.

post-281-1101459324_thumb.jpg

Guest Adriano

Another screenshot, this of the main page, still IE 5.01. As you can see, you have to adjust the margin of the sidebar a bit so the first line of text is not swallowed under (ditto for the line at the end of the sidebar).

Cheers. I now leave for a weekend in Trieste, visiting a friend and having (hopefully) a lot of non-computers-fun.

As a general rule: you can guarantee your layout will look different in the 'plorers if:

-You use div boxes with both margin and padding, or with margin-padding-border (because of the different box model interpretations). This is solved with the box-model-hack. So this is the main problem.

-Your doctype is not correct or complete (but this will prevent your page from validating, so it's a moot point). This gets IE 6 into quirks mode (FFox and Opera as well, I think), and all bets are off.

-The phase of the moon is wrong :) .

post-281-1101459788_thumb.jpg

Well, I'm going to change the background images in any case (that's at the top of my list, after updating the pages to the new shape), but right now they are jpg's at 75% quality (I think) - I could reduce the quality setting somewhat, that should improve the speed.

Any other opinions? Guys?

Hey aRTee

not had chance to read thru all the thread. A totally non teccy reply here.

I think the new look is great, nice how it's all framed, the colours work well, nice fonts. The only reservation I have is now that the darker blues have been introduced, it does clash with background images - and when you scroll up/down, this becomes more noticeable when white text rests over the image. The image becomes more enhanced. On the old style, you know the background image is there, but it doesn't create that conflict.

So,it might be worth bearing in mind when you change your images.

Otherwise, the site still rocks :drum::banana::drum: yay!

Guest Adriano
Maybe its not good to test in IE5.01, it's ancient and has terrible css support, at least 95% of people use IE6 or a Gecko based browser anyway.

I know, I know. But, as I said, I couldn't even open the others. And knowing that the _worst_ that could happen is that, I'd feel relieved. It _is_ MS software, on the other hand. Maybe they managed to screw it up in newer versions... Nah, it'd never happen.

Adriano, thanks a lot for the screenshots -in the version of IE we have here at work, the body text, meaning everything below the links:

Home Switch to  Acquire  Install  Configure  Learn  Links  About  Contact

is shifted to have what should be the left side of it exactly in the center of the webbrowser.

Nasty.

I'll see if I can make a screenshot. See attachment,... sorry, they are screenshots from a terminal server, so 8 bit colour...

You'll see that it's indeed worse that yours on IE5.... This is IE6...

Oh yes, I know, the background fixed thingy doesn't work. No biggy, that's quite minor.

I also saw that the top part is partially overlapped with the side float - margins, padding, IE gets lost of those plain wrong. Also, this is minor imho.

But maybe it helps if I put an empty full width box across the page or so, just to guarantee more space? I'll have to see - I don't want to mess up the good looks the site has in gecko, khtml and opera based browsers (nor the great look it has on lynx!)....

Will give this box model thing a look first.

About png - on this image, the jpgs are 50% of the size of the (original) pngs - and those are compressed factor 9 (highest) with the GIMP. I'll have a look at pngcrunch though, sounds interesting, if it can indeed compress better/more than the GIMP.

And no, I don't need transparency.

But I don't really think it's an issue, the size of my site pages is small compared to this board for instance. Anyhow, the new images I have in mind will be smaller.

ChrisM, to nights ago I changed the middle blue coloured image to be a tad lighter, the one that is used in the titles across the page, do you still think it's too dark with the black text?

Or do you mean the really dark image, like the background of the links at the top?

How does that clash? Do you have a tft monitor? Or a crt?

Does that dark blue look 'off' or so?

BTW Adriano, enjoy Trieste!

Rhaa, the middle image is wrong, I can't seem to remove it though - it's not a good screengrab, due to the terminal server I think, some rectangle got in the way...

post-500-1101475563_thumb.jpg

post-500-1101475594_thumb.jpg

post-500-1101476019_thumb.jpg

Edited by aRTee

ChrisM, to nights ago I changed the middle blue coloured image to be a tad lighter, the one that is used in the titles across the page, do you still think it's too dark with the black text?

Or do you mean the really dark image, like the background of the links at the top?

How does that clash? Do you have a tft monitor? Or a crt?

Does that dark blue look 'off' or so?

Hey aRTee.

It really is just a minor thing i was pointing out. With the light, sky blue background, you hardly notice the background text, while the darker blues lift the background text - when there is some white font, say on your rhs/lhs panels with links, depending on where you scroll, it just looks a little 'busy' - the background text stands out more because of the darker blue framing. Look at the word 'preinstalled' and the blue line across the top page with the links, between 'install - configure.' Though honestly, these are really, really minor points. Don't mean to critical. Your site is the bizness.

post-3931-1101555615_thumb.jpg

Will check the png option, thanks for the info.

ChrisM, see what you mean now - the dark background is a tad too dynamic (too large colour range, should be 'flatter') - the mid blue bg image was the same, I really made it lots flatter.

Will see if I have time to fix it before I make the new bg images.

Right now I'm spending all the time I have to update the pages to the new format - at least, those pages that I want to update, some old ones will not be updated.