10.1 Really Slow (ATA Problems?) [SOLVED]

hanez

Yeah, well Im back with 10.0 now and everything is fine. Ive noticed this though in 10.0 my ata drive is called HDA. In 10.1 the ATA drive is called SDA. So whatever they changed to treat ATA drives differently slowed the hell out of my computer. Oh well 10.0 works fine for now.

Thanks for the help!

it was a change in the upstream kernel, they just decided to start calling SATA disks sd* instead of hd*. As I said, I think the most likely issue here is some kind of problem with the version of the kernel module for your SATA controller in the 10.1 kernel. So long as you're happy it's good :)

Also, just a note - SATA and ATA aren't the same thing. ATA and IDE both generally refer to the old parallel ATA hard disks, the ones with big fat ribbon cables connecting them to the motherboard. SATA is Serial ATA, the shiny new drive standard which uses sleek, thin, normally red cables. SATA theoretically also gives a speed boost over old parallel ATA but it's not something you're likely to see in usual operation, unless you've got a pair of WD Raptor hard disks.