MDK 10.1, Gnome 2.8 & libhowl (& postun_ldconfig)

Guest MaRu

Hi all,

I'm trying to install Gnome 2.8 on Mandrake 10.1 Community, using RPMs with urmpi.

The problem

Before start installing, urpmi says a few RPMs wouldn't have been installed (among which Nautilus) due to failed dependencies: the mainly missing dependency is libhowl 0.9.6. I went on installing and now I have Gnome 2.8, with Nautilus 2.6 crashing as soon as I run it !

What I did then

- I checked for libhowl on MDK CDs, but it's not there, thus I downloaded it

- I tried to install it, but I had another failed dependecy: /sbin/postun_ldconfig

- I looked around and I found out it should be shipped with glibc-core RPM, that is missing on MDK CDs

- I downloaded glibc-core-2.3.3 and tried to install it and ... it conflicts with ... ITSELF !!

Now

Now I'm not such a great user to move any step ahead ... anyone could take my hand and lead me to the full installation ? :)

Thanks a lot,

MaRu

You know about urpmi. That's good. Now you have to know about 'media' :). Media are the places where software is placed (on a cd, internet repository, floppy, HD etc etc). Urpmi knows what software is where and knows what software needs other software. If it can't find that software you get the errors you have.

The solution: add more media. Look in the faqs for easy urpmi or download all the the software you need to your HD and add it as one of your media.

Good luck.

Hi Devries,

thanks a lot for your reply.

The point is that now I don't know what to download !

I downloaded libhowl and put the RPM in the same dir of the Gnome RPMS; then I also removed the media "Gnome" and readded it, in order to be sure libhowl was included as well.

Then I run urpmi again and I correctly had one new failed dependency:

libhowl, on /sbin/postun_ldconfig[*]

Now I don't manage to find out what I need to download to have /sbin/postun_ldconfig. It seems glibc-core includes it, but as I told, I wasn't able to install it (rpm -Uv glibc-core-2.3.3-...) due to a conflict with itself ...

Any idea on what I should download ?

Thanks again,

MaRu

Cooker is now awake. GNOME 2.8 has dropped in there. Why not Vanilla install 10.1 and then upgrade to 2.8 from Cooker using URPMI?

Thanks mousematt,

the bottom-line is that I still don't have access to the internet from the box, 'cause it seems the driver for my ADSL-USB-modem (Urmet) is on CD5 and I only have the first 4 CDs ... anyhow ... I can't access the internet, so, is there a way to download the Gnome dropped into Cooker via FTP and then use urpmi locally (exactly as I did till now) ? (sorry if the question is silly, but I know almost nothing about cooker :( ).

Ciao,

MaRu

• 2 weeks later...

mouse: because cooker now has binary-incompatible updates to perl and python. If you try and install GNOME from current Cooker on a 10.1 system you may either find it doesn't work or that the perl interdependencies make you upgrade a lot more stuff than you were expecting...

if you absolutely MUST have 2.8 on 10.1, http://wwwra.informatik.uni-rostock.de/~wa.../gnome2.7/RPMS/ is probably the way to go. Set it up as an urpmi repository for a clean MDK 10.1 and do a urpmi --auto-select. But to be honest, why not just use GNOME 2.6? It's not unclean. It works.

if you absolutely MUST have 2.8 on 10.1, http://wwwra.informatik.uni-rostock.de/~wa.../gnome2.7/RPMS/ is probably the way to go. Set it up as an urpmi repository for a clean MDK 10.1 and do a urpmi --auto-select. But to be honest, why not just use GNOME 2.6? It's not unclean. It works.

I'd use 2.6 before messing with those pkgs. I've used previous versions from there.

Edited by bvc

bvc: well, it started off as a repository for 2.7 on Cooker. If you ever tried to use it 10.0, it wouldn't have worked (very well or possibly at all), because it was always built against Cooker. After 10.1 came out, Goetz rebuilt them all against 10.1 then stuck a fork in them - they'll now never change from their current state. Goetz does quite a lot of packaging work so I'd be surprised if they were totally broken on 10.1. There's another directory on his page where he's building 2.9 against current Cooker, please don't recommend those packages to 10.1 users anybody :)