NVIDIA driver problems [SOLVED]

teh_sAbEr

hello all, im having some issues w/the latest nvidia driver. i just recently installed 10.1 CE wiping my whole system clean in the process. so i downloaded the nvidia drivers (im using a Riva TNT2), version 6629, went to init 3 from root console in KDE, switched to root, and then proceeded to install the drivers. after i finished, i tried starting KDE, and when i ran glxinfo it gave me a bunch of errors saying "...missing GLX extension". i then edited the XF86Config (i use Xorg i believe, so why is this here? i changed it back to "nv") file, changing "nv" to "nvidia" in the driver section, since the "glx" part was already there. i then restart my system and get thrown to a console where i proceed to login and 'startx' from root. in short, i was able to finally get X started, but the screen was all messed up, like the images were "stuck" on the screen, the mouse trailed and didn't go away, and things just didn't look right. it goes away after i change the "nvidia" back to "nv", and ive uninstalled the drivers. any ideas on how to fix this? thanks for the help.

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

In your X config file (the name is irrelevant, remember that Xorg is just a continuation of XFree's development), make the following changes:

Under Section "Module" (at the beginning of the file) add/uncomment the line:

Load       "glx"

And then change your driver back to 'nvidia'

I have not tried the latest nvidia driver myself yet and i am still on .6111 But, with .6111 I had to load the nvidia module on boot (added 'nvidia' to /etc/modprobe.preload) and for glx to run properly change the reference to '.../libglx.a' in the line below load glx to the correct libglx file then being .../libglx.so.1.0.6111 You can check the correct flibglx file by following the path.

there is no line underneath "load glx". my xorg file looks like this right now.

# File generated by XFdrake.

# **********************************************************************
# Refer to the XF86Config man page for details about the format of
# this file.

Section "Files"
   # Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)
   # By default, Mandrake 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of
   # the X server to render fonts.
   FontPath "unix/:-1"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
   #DontZap # disable <Crtl><Alt><BS> (server abort)
   AllowMouseOpenFail # allows the server to start up even if the mouse doesn't work
   #DontZoom # disable <Crtl><Alt><KP_+>/<KP_-> (resolution switching)
EndSection

Section "Module"
   Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension
   Load "v4l" # Video for Linux
   Load "extmod"
   Load "type1"
   Load "freetype"
   Load "glx" # 3D layer
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier "Keyboard1"
   Driver "Keyboard"
   Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
   Option "XkbLayout" "en_US"
   Option "XkbOptions" ""
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier "Mouse1"
   Driver "mouse"
   Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
   Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
   Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
   Identifier "monitor1"
   VendorName "Plug'n Play"
   HorizSync 30-85
   VertRefresh 48-120

# Sony Vaio C1(X,XS,VE,VN)?
   # 1024x480 @ 85.6 Hz, 48 kHz hsync
   ModeLine "1024x480"    65.00 1024 1032 1176 1344   480  488  494  563 -hsync -vsync

# Dell D800 and few Inspiron (16/10) 1280x800
   ModeLine "1280x800"  147.89  1280 1376 1512 1744  800 801 804 848

# Dell D800 and few Inspiron (16/10) 1680x1050
   ModeLine "1680x1050"  214.51  1680 1800 1984 2288  1050 1051 1054 1103

# Dell D800 and few Inspiron (16/10) 1920x1200
   ModeLine "1920x1200" 230 1920 1936 2096 2528 1200 1201 1204 1250 +HSync +VSync

# TV fullscreen mode or DVD fullscreen output.
   # 768x576 @ 79 Hz, 50 kHz hsync
   ModeLine "768x576"     50.00  768  832  846 1000   576  590  595  630

# 768x576 @ 100 Hz, 61.6 kHz hsync
   ModeLine "768x576"     63.07  768  800  960 1024   576  578  590  616
EndSection

Section "Device"
   Identifier "device1"
   VendorName "nVidia Corp."
   BoardName "RIVA TNT2"
   Driver "nv"
   Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
   Identifier "screen1"
   Device "device1"
   Monitor "monitor1"
   DefaultColorDepth 24

Subsection "Display"
       Depth 8
       Virtual 1280 1024
   EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"
       Depth 15
       Virtual 1280 1024
   EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"
       Depth 16
       Virtual 1280 1024
   EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"
       Depth 24
       Virtual 1280 1024
   EndSubsection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
   Identifier "layout1"
   InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
   InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
   Screen "screen1"
EndSection

and what you're talking about is on 10.1 right?

make your "devices" section look like this............

Section "Device"

Identifier "device1"

VendorName "nVidia Corp."

BoardName "RIVA TNT2"

Driver "nvidia"

Option "DPMS"

Option "NvAGP" "3"

EndSection

your driver must read nvidia, not nv........... the NvAGP 3 option will use kernel AGP support first, if available, then use Nvidia AGP if the kernel drivers aren't compiled. other options you can try with that are.........

0.......... no AGP support

1.......... Nvidia AGP only

2.......... kernel AGP only

if that don't pan out, reinstall the drivers using the --add-this-kernel switch..........

sh NVIDIA-LINUX-x86-1.0-6629-pkg1.run --add-this-kernel

it will then compile a new script for your kernel in the same directory called NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6629-pkg1-custom.run. you would then install the drivers using that (-custom) script.

if none of the above helps, go HERE, look at post #2 & apply the patch given as described.

Chris

thanks i will try that.

edit: i looked at the patch and im not using a PCI card but i downloaded it anyways. none of the above did help. i changed the driver to nvidia, and added the nvagp option shown up there but it still didn't work right. i heard a while back on #MUSB that there was a fix for an nvidia problem in the 10.1 beta i believe. is it still on the board? as for the --add-this-kernel option, i tried that already and it doesn't work because i dont have the kernel source, and since urpmi is down, i cant really get the kernel source..

Edited by teh_sAbEr

as for the --add-this-kernel option, i tried that already and it doesn't work because i dont have the kernel source, and since urpmi is down, i cant really get the kernel source..

ummmm............ that's your problem in a nutshell. you need a matching kernel-source to your kernel for the Nvidia drivers to compile.

yes, EasyURPMI has been down, but you don't need that for a kernel-source. depending on which kernel you are running.........

if it's the stock kernel from install, you can get it off of the MDK CD's. if it's an updated kernel, you can get it from an update mirror site, but not by using update. even if EasyURPMI is down, you can still use urpmi to get the kernel-source. in terminal as root type urpmi kernel-source. choose the source from the list (if choices are given) that matches your current kernel version. or, you can use MCC->software management->install & type kernel in the search, then choose the matching source from the list.

to find out your current kernel version, in terminal as root type either........

uname -r

or........

uname -a

Chris

ah hah! easyurpmi is back up! WHOOOOOOOOoooooo.. i've started the kernel source download now, will let you know how it goes. about the 6629 driver, i read on another board that the support for tnt2 cards was broken in 6629, and to try an earlier version. i picked out 5536, which, according to the board, works fine, so i picked that one up and am waiting for the kernel source to download. thanks for the help guys!

not sure about the TNT2 question, as i don't have that type of card. install the Nvidia drivers with the --add-this-kernel option & see if it works. also, the 5536 drivers are quite old. the version before 6629 is 6111, so maybe you'd wanna try those as back up drivers.

Chris