mobos...

Urza9814

Ok...I need a good mobo for an AMD Athlon XP, under $50 if possible, more than 3 PCI slots (and AGP if possible) AND (and this is where I gots trouble), I need enough IDE slots for at least 2 CD drives, 2 hard drives, and a floppy drive. I was looking at this one ( http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc....TC-pr1c3grabb3r )

but it is lacking in IDE slots...so...can someone find me a good one please? I been searching pricewatch and pricegrabber...but the search isn't really good enough...

woah...didn't know they made those...lol...

ok...so, something like this?: http://www.ascendtech.us/itemdesc.asp?Cart...ATA662C&eq=&Tp=

and will that be a good one? I mean, I probably won't use any of my main drives on it, but I still don't want one that's gonna be really slow.

that's not bad...but I have a feeling a mobo could be cheaper...I dunno though...I'll keep it in mind.

edit:

wait a minute...this one mentions floppy controllers separate...those different? Ya...I guess they would be...but...why didn't hte others mention it? ugh...im confuzed...lol...im not a hardware person...

aurgh...this one looks really good...but I need to know what speed AGP it has and I don't see it listed anywhere...(...I think it's speed...all I know is I need AGP 8x)

http://www.biostar-usa.com/mbdetails.asp?model=m7vib

Edited by Urza9814

I HAVE FOUND IT!

http://www.ikor-design.com/ikor-design/pro...roducts_id=4310

that is looking really good...8x AGP for my Radeon 9800, 6 PCI for who knows what, floppy and 2 IDE...man...when you add in the included LAN, im only gonna be using one of those PCI slots...lol

edit:

hey, just had 2 thoughts:

AGP won't require a special slot on my case, correct?

the onboard sound won't hurt it if I don't use it, right? (I know onboard sound and video is bad...my current mobo has both :-P...but since im getting surround sound, won't use it anyways)

Edited by Urza9814

I would be wary of a motherboard that is so inexpensive. You could be asking for much trouble.

I do not understand. The board you have selected has an AGP slot. This has nothing to do with the case.

the onboard sound won't hurt it if I don't use it, right?

Right. You can disable the onboard sound in the BIOS.

Edited by daniewicz

I would be wary of a motherboard that is so inexpensive. You could be asking for much trouble.

I do not understand. The board you have selected has an AGP slot. This has nothing to do with the case.

yea...I meant like, slot in the back...but...yea, the more I think about it the more I realize that's a stupid question...lol

yea, the mobo is cheap...first one I was looking at was only $20 though :P

everything is gonna be cheap...a $20 soundcard...$50 surround sound (altec lansing)...$50 CPU, $40 case...If I was gonna get all good parts, I'd be saving up all my cash until next christmas...and I want some cool accessories too :P

I don't need a $5000 gaming rig...I need basically a cranked up office machine...really I only need about 1GHz...128megs of RAM...but if I can get more for cheap, cool.

One more question...it's more about the processor, but it's a simple question and I don't think it's worth making a new topic for...

Can I use a Jet 7 with my AMD Athlon XP 2200+?

Jet 7: http://www.micer.com/viewitem.asp?idproduc...ef=pricegrabber

It SAYS for Athlon XP 3200+ and higher...but my friend got the Jet 4 which is for P4 3.6 and higher and used it with a 3GHz...and it is the correct socket...

Yes. Cooler compatibility goes by CPU socket. The XP 2200+ is a Socket A CPU so any Socket A cooler is good. The '3200+ and above' is just a bit of marketing foam to make it clear the cooler can (allegedly) handle high end processors. That cooler looks rather heavy, though; if you're going to be moving the system around a lot you might want to find a lighter one. If it's gonna sit still, no big deal.

Thanks...I think I'll use it...it looks awesome, and in the entire 5 year life of my comp, it was moved round trip down the hall once for an office remodel, and it was moved round trip to the other side of the desk...so it don't move much :-P

Urza, you stated that you only need 2 HDDs and 2 CD/DVD drives. The mobo in your original post will handle that. It also has an 8X AGP and the Floppy controller onboard, as well as 10/100 ethernet. Plus 4 PCI slots.

Why would you say it does not fit your needs?

...because I didn't know it had the floppy controller...

it's not in the description and looking at it I don't see it...

but...this other one...seems better...and cheaper...lol

oh! hey! so it is!

oh, I was wondering...might as well ask...lol...wtf is CNR and...there was some other one...I know AGP and PCI, but there was CNR and some other thing that I came across in my mobo search...and im wondering...wtf are they??? :-P

CNR is something Network Riser. It's not something you're ever likely to use. A few years ago several OEMs started using a custom socket to install network cards and modems in, for some reason - no idea why they couldn't just use a PCI slot. IIRC electrically it's just a backwards PCI slot or something. Anyway, not something you need to worry about, just a useless slot. (It's almost impossible to buy cards for it on the public market).

CNR = Communications Network Riser

AMR = Audio Modem Riser

I generally try to rule out mobos with either of those slots, and I detest onboard video. I also try to stay away from onboard sound, but, that is nearly impossible these days. I also go for USB 2.0, which I consider a must for these days.

• 4 weeks later...
CNR = Communications Network Riser

AMR = Audio Modem Riser

I generally try to rule out mobos with either of those slots, and I detest onboard video. I also try to stay away from onboard sound, but, that is nearly impossible these days. I also go for USB 2.0, which I consider a must for these days.

I agree entirely sarissi, on-board anything is a no-no for me too!

unless its for an office workstation (its cheaper) and then check it out thoroughly

for compatibility with linux before buying !!!

and those cnr /amr are a nightmare in windows (which they were designed for) let alone linux (they are basically controller less (ie: software driven) cards).

like the old chestnut win-modems YUK!!!

my way would be to "buy the cheap mobo" and then disable all onboard stuff in the bios (kinda defeats the object lol) and buy separate cards for what you need!

don't know much about linux, but used to build machines for a living and i hate amr / cnr riser cards aaarrrggghhhh!!! :wall::furious3: roflmao