Installing from ISO FILES

Guest llappall

Guest llappall

Hi,

I'm an intermediate linux user.

I have MDK 10.0 installed in my laptop and wanted to try a new installation method (just to learn).

I have my disk partitioned with / and /home in different partitions. I downloaded the three community ISOs for 10.1 and want to install straight from them, without burning them to CDs. That way, I can later set them as sources and don't have to carry the 3 cds around.

a) is there a way to install from the ISO images (mounting them and booting from the iso 1?)

B) Found out about hd_grub.img, but don't understand how to change the boot so grub understands it needs to boot from the image... :(

My partitions:

/

swap

/home

(allocated automatically by MDK10.0)

:thanks:

It is perfectly possible to install directly from the ISO images.

This page

describes every possible way to install Mandrake, I have followed it with success. Maybe it will be easier to burn the small image mentioned on a CD-RW, boot from it and continue installation. You will be asked for the partition in which you have the images and then it will go on as usual.

Good luck!

There's a faq on it but it's apparently being updated:

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=4499

It used to be that the install program would only pick up the cd-1 iso and wouldn't install anything from the other iso files. To get around that you would have to manipulate the isos by copying the rpm folders from cd-2 and cd-3 into the cd-1 iso which was kind of a pain. That may no longer be necessary.