wanted: MDK 10.1 friendly usb card reader

mousematt

I would like to buy a small, simple and cheap USB card reader: specifically, one that reads SD and MMC cards. It needs to fairly cheap, very compact and able work under Mandrakelinux 10.1 without a kernel recompile. Moreover, it must be reasonably easy to find on eBay or here in Australia.

I have found a dozen different models all over the place, although none of them clearly state if they are Linux (kernel 2.6) friendly.

I imagine a number of board members have them - I'd like one too!

Please share your experiences (good, bad or otherwise) and suggest a purchase... :help:

...and remember MandrakeMag is watching :mdk:

well,

PIN (australian) has a cheap one:

https://secure3.ozhosting.com/powermarket/p...asp?category=26

I suppose it just works.

I've got a X's-drive Pro and that works in Mdk 10.0 without any driver or so.

(note: I do have to take care of the order of unplugging, power off and closing konqueror in order to avoid problematic icons on my desktop)

I have a panasonic one, it came with my mp3 player that works.

Avoid ones which have more than one format supported, they cause trouble at times. Also, any sd card reader will support mmc because the form is nearly the same. I have seen a panasonic reader sold at Dick Smith Electronics, so maybe look there.

As for the cards themselves, use sd not mmc. You can get sd dirt cheap on ebay, my mum got me a 128mb one for $15 and a 512 for $75. I have seen 1gb ones go for about $100. 128 usually retails for 100 bucks, 512 about 200, and 1gb sdcards are more.

iphitus