Gnome 2.8.2

a13x

I have upgraded my Gnome desktop to 2.8.2 using Thac's RPMS located here:

http://rpm.nyvalls.se/10.1/RPMS/gnome-2.9/

The feature I like the most it that KDE apps now minimize to tray correctly :banana: .

But there are a few problems. The menu is totally FUBAR. It's structure has been messed up real bad. I would post a picture but the Desktop screenshot app (or whatever it was called) is gone.

The Gnome tool called 'Preferred Applications' still doesn't work. Any change I make with it is not saved after I exit the program.

Anyway, I received these errors during the update process:

http://rpm.nyvalls.se/10.1/RPMS/gnome-2.9/zenity-2.9.0-0.2.mdk10.1.thac.i586.rpm
Thu Nov 18 00:26:41 2004 /var/cache/urpmi/rpms/zenity-2.9.0-0.2.mdk10.1.thac.i586.rpm
Preparing...                ##################################################
 29:zenity                 ##################################################
/usr/share/gnome/help/zenity/C/zenity.xml:536: parser error : Opening and ending tag mismatch: listitem line 534 and para
  </para>
         ^
/usr/share/gnome/help/zenity/C/zenity.xml:537: parser error : Opening and ending tag mismatch: varlistentry line 532 and listitem
</listitem>
           ^
/usr/share/gnome/help/zenity/C/zenity.xml:538: parser error : Opening and ending tag mismatch: variablelist line 530 and varlistentry
     </varlistentry>
                    ^
/usr/share/gnome/help/zenity/C/zenity.xml:540: parser error : Opening and ending tag mismatch: sect1 line 524 and variablelist
   </variablelist>
                  ^
/usr/share/gnome/help/zenity/C/zenity.xml:568: parser error : Opening and ending tag mismatch: article line 17 and sect1
 </sect1>
         ^
/usr/share/gnome/help/zenity/C/zenity.xml:572: parser error : Extra content at the end of the document
 <sect1 id="zenity-list-options">
 ^

and this one:

http://rpm.nyvalls.se/10.1/RPMS/gnome-2.9/gnome-panel-2.9.1-0.2.mdk10.1.thac.i586.rpm
Thu Nov 18 00:39:40 2004 /var/cache/urpmi/rpms/gnome-panel-2.9.1-0.2.mdk10.1.thac.i586.rpm
Preparing...                ##################################################
 53:gnome-panel            ##################################################
WARNING: Failed to parse default value `??' for schema (/schemas/apps/clock_applet/prefs/hour_format)

edit;

Another problem ... The main menu icon is very ugly. Every png file I use as an icon for the MM is displayed in an ugly way: very unclear.

Edited by a13x

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Impossible ! I selected Gnome DE to be removed, rpmdrake listed a LOT of packages to be uninstalled as well so I clicked cancel (way to many packages) Then it said that vim had to be removed too and that would break my system.

So I need another solution as this one would cause way to much damage and it's M$ style anyway.

that's because of gtk/drak stuff

you have to remove everything except gtk/s, then do them from the cli with

rpm -e --nodeps

and urpmi the new stuff back. Once it has to remove drak stuff it thinks it is going to break, but it wont (don't try it though), if you know the cli. I also suggest that you ditch all your .gnome, .gnome2, .nautilus, .metacity, .gconf and anything else gnome related (or back them up). Starting fresh will help eliminate old compat preferences that should be replaced to be replaced with the new. mime sys stuff and the like

I deleted the .gnome and related stuff and now the menu icon is shown right :D, but still what bothers me the most is the menu structure. It's totally unusable in this form. You can never find anything in there. I prefer to start programs from the console rather than using it. Is there a way to modify it because menudrake has no effect on it.

Will this be fixed if I reinstall Gnome ?

P.S. The same FUBAR menu structure is in KDE 3.3 too (I have a partial installed KDE 3.3 more of a hybrid between 3.2 and 3.3).

iphitus: It would work but it's not efficient.

Hey ! I noticed that the Mandrakelinux Cooker repository has Gnome 2.8.1. Can I install the rpm that corresponds to the menu (whatever that is..) from there ? Would it work ?

If that doesn't solve the menu problem, can I install the Cooker version of Gnome ?

iphitus: It would work but it's not efficient.

Hey ! I noticed that the Mandrakelinux Cooker repository has Gnome 2.8.1. Can I install the rpm that corresponds to the menu (whatever that is..) from there ? Would it work ?

If that doesn't solve the menu problem, can I install the Cooker version of Gnome ?

They didnt design the gnome menu so it would be frienly to edit. If the mandrake tool isnt working, it's this or nothing mate.