K3B doesnt burn in 10.1 official

kde-head

Average write speed 603.9x.

I think this may be part of the problem. I would assume you didn't actualy set your burner to burn at that speed, but you mighgt try setting the speed realy low, like 10x asnd then doing some test burns up from there to see what speed it fails at.

Since you're having the same or similar problems with two different versions of mandrake, running two different kernels and two different revisions of k3b, all of which have work flawlessly for most of the people here, we can seriously narrow down the possabilities.

That realisticaly narrows the problem down to ONLY three things:

1. Bad hardware.

2. Bad media.

3. Opperater error.

#1 is pretty uinlikely since a serious hardware problem might prevent you from mounting disks and would almost certainly present itself in onother way, especialy if the problem was your MoBo and not the drive. You'd have system instabilty like WindowsMe and your burnwer would be the least of your concerns. It is 'possible' though, so if you have access to another burner, even borrowed from a friend, you might try it.

#2 Isn't real likely either since we're talking about multiple attempts here.

#3 is pretty much all that's left.

This is an explanation of your error, and How to fix it. You can skip to the end if you trust me and either already know all about it, or don't want to know.:

The data that your burner writes to the disks, does not go directly from your hard drive to the burner. It goes through several places on your motherboard, including your ram in most configurations, and is then sent to a small cache on the burner. From there, it is sent nice and evenly to the disk. It is done this way, so that the data reaches the disk at a consistent rate, so the disk can spin at a constant/nearly constant speed. Otherwise, writing on a spinning disk becomes a rediculously complicated procedure.

Idealy, that buffer should spend the whole time, up till the last few seconds, between 90 and 100% full. It will normaly go up and down, but you want it mostly full. The reason for this is that the data comes from you hdd at an irregular rate, and when your hard drive lags for a moment, you want there to be enough data in the buffer that writing never stops, because when it does, you get an underrun error.

But why are you getting one? Simple. A 72x burner (or whatever speed you have) can only write at the rated speed under PERFECT conditions. That means that your HDD must be fast enough to dish out those speeds, the busses on your motherboard must be fast enough to handle the data rates, your ram must be fast enough to ship it all through, your CPU must be fast enough to process the commands being sent to the drive (not usualy a problem) and your system resources must be available enough to let it happen. When all is said and done, my 54x CD burner, only writes consistanly at speeds up to 18x, faster than that and I start making coasters.

Average write speed 603.9x.

I think this may be part of the problem. I would assume you didn't actualy set your burner to burn at that speed, but you mighgt try setting the speed realy low, like 10x asnd then doing some test burns up from there to see what speed it fails at. In my experience, the "auto" speed mode in most burning software, including k3b, sucks.