K3B doesnt burn in 10.1 official

kde-head

upgraded from 10.0 to 10.1 , and k3b still has problems. I cannot burn ISO images , as I'm getting "buffer underrun" errors. my kernel is 2.6.8.1-12mdkenterprise

At least that progress - in 10.0 K3B would refuse point blank to communicate with my cd burner (2.6.8 kernel changes...). Had no problems burning in releases prior to 10.0

I thought Mandrake had patched the 2.6.8 kernel to solve these CD burning issues?

Anyone else install 10.1 and have K3B problems, or lack of them?

not using 10.1 yet, but as for k3b..........

are you getting the error with everything you try to burn, or just ISO's? are you getting the error as user & root? if not root, try burning as root. have you tried buring at a lower speed? have you checked the settings before you burn (burn free/disc at once/etc.)? have you tried using a different cdrecord driver? (try one of the generic ones instead of "auto" or a proprietary one)

if none of those thoughts pan out, have you tried running k3b from terminal & see if it gives any useful errors? if it does, please post them here.

Chris

Burnt many dvd iso images, bunch of cd images, and some data cd's, all fine.

10.1 OE.

Good luck; seems to me you may have some 'upgrade' problems..

interesting - looks like all of you people have done a fresh install, rather than a urpmi upgrade , which is what i have done.

i'm curious - what kernels are you people using? i'd like to get to the bottom of this one, as it's very annoying

Edited by kde-head

deinstalled cdrecord and k3b , reinstalled. same problems.

/usr/bin/cdrecord: Success. write_g1: scsi sendcmd: no error

CDB: 2A 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 1F 00

Sense Bytes: 70 00 03 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 73 03 00 00

Sense Key: 0x3 Medium Error, Segment 0

Sense Code: 0x73 Qual 0x03 (power calibration area error) Fru 0x0

Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)

resid: 63488

cmd finished after 0.902s timeout 40s

/usr/bin/cdrecord: A write error occured.

/usr/bin/cdrecord: Please properly read the error message above.

write track data: error after 0 bytes

Writing time: 5.921s

Average write speed 603.9x.

I know its kind of an obvious question, but did the hardware work for you under 10.0? In my experience, buffer underruns are typically something along the lines of screensaver-interrupt, low resources, or malfunctioning hardware. I trust the burner worked previously?

I know its kind of an obvious question, but did the hardware work for you under 10.0? In my experience, buffer underruns are typically something along the lines of screensaver-interrupt, low resources, or malfunctioning hardware. I trust the burner worked previously?

on 10.0 it didnt work either - it did work under 9.2. maybe you're right - maybe the drive really is at fault.

I often found the trouble to be that the site for the k3b default temp was too small since it is usually /home/<account>/temp or something like it so I setup a dummy folder titled "k3b-cache" in a partition which I knew had at least 8Gb spare.

In K3B in the place called ........Temp Directory ... Write image file to:... I point to that folder.

In my case it is /ALLMUSIC/ k3b-cache and it shows Free space in temporary directory: 27.5GB. I make sure to hit <Save User Defaults>

I have never had a problem burning a cd or an iso cd since using k3b and am now up to Mandrake10.1-OE from 10-OE via urpmi.

Cheers. John.

I forgot to mention that I have burned at least three DVD-R disks with the new setup.

So yes, k3b works in Mandrake 9.2, 10-CE, 10-OE, 10.1-CE and now 10.1-OE.

JB

Edited by AussieJohn

Guest micro420

Is your interface set to ATAPI? I had the same problem and this helped me out, even though it's for Mandrake 9.1:

http://www.jennings.homelinux.net/k3b.html

I'm feeling a little lazy to type out how I changed it in Mandrake 10.1. If you do have ATAPI interface then I'll type out how I fixed it, or if anyone wants to know then I'll type it out.