Lilo - Timestamp mismatch

lets-eat-gary

Hi people.

Just tryed to install Mandrake 10.1 on my SATA drive.

It installs fine but when i reboot (after installing)

I get the following message:

Lilo - Timestamp mismatch

and am unable to do anything.

I already had WIN XP and Fedora Core 3 on the drive and to get back to them i have to boot FC3 in rescue mode and reinstall grub on sda (sata drive) . But i am unable to get into Mandrake.

When installing FC3 orginally i had to goto recue mode - then change a setting in system.map (in /boot) sda instead of hda and also ise the command

grub-install sda.

Is there something similar i can do to get to mandrake 10.1 - using non SATA is not an option.

Cheers

The same thing happens when i install yoper when i use Lilo.

However grub works fine and i have just triple booted my machine, the fault must be with lilo

1) why is lilo not working? I would prefer to use that

I have a Asus A7N8X Deluxe Nforce 2 SATA motherboard - sil 3112 SATA controller

2) Is there a way to use grub whilst installing Mandrake 10.1 ?

Cheers

I have been battling with the LILO timestamp mismatch problem for about a week now (LM10.0 on an Epia M10000). I don't know if your problem is the same or not but maybe my experience will help.

I have been duplicating disks in an embedded system by booting from /dev/hdd and copying to /dev/hda (for reasons that will not become any clearer right now) and when I have two drives in the system I often get this error. I also get this error when I have two flash disks in the system. This time on /dev/hda and /dev/hdc. However, I never get the problem if one of the two devices is blank. Additionally, when having multiple possible disks to boot from in the system at the same time, the BIOS does not honor the order in which I place the boot devices. In fact, I believe it simply boots off the first partition marked bootable going in the order /dev/hda, /dev/hdb, /dev/hdc, then /dev/hdd. That last bit seemed to be the clue I needed. From what I could tell, it would load the first boot sector off the disk from the proper drive but would not assign that drive to 0x80. This meant that when LILO tried to continue the boot process using BIOS drive 0x80 it would in fact load LILO's second stage boot off of the other disk and hence there is the timestamp mismatch.

As far as I can tell, the problem is with the BIOS, but I've found a clever work around. Simply disable all drives in the bios except the boot drive. This way the BIOS has no choice but to keep the drive as 0x80. For linux this is not a problem since it does its own scan during bootup to determine what devices are connected. So far, this works like a charm.

In your case, the problem is a little different but probably produces the same result. What partitions do you have marked as bootable in the partition table? I suspect that there may be more than one thus causing the BIOS to load the boot sector from one partition and then assign drive 0x80 to a completely different partition (one with another copy of LILO on it).

Then again, I could be completely wrong about your case ;-) But I hope that this might at least provide a clue.

Glitz.

PS. By the way, if you haven't already guessed, the LILO timestamp error occurs when the first boot sector and the rest of LILO have different timestamps.

PPS. I don't know if GRUB used the BIOS to access drives at all. This could explain why it doesn't run into these sorts of problems.

• 1 month later...

Thank you so much for your response.

This has been one of the only problems I have never been able to find a work-around (except use grub)

I now have the following OS's installed (using grub to boot)

/Windows XP

/Mandrake 10.1

/Fedora Core 3

/Yoper 2.1-4

/Pro mepis B03

I miss Lilo though, i've discovered you cannot use the rebootin command without it.

I shall try to disable all other boot drives and to install lilo again.

Will report findings...

I have a similar issue on an A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard, but *only* after updating to the 013 BIOS. The 012 was fine. The solution is simple, if really really annoying - reboot a few times. I get the timestamp mismatch, on average, 75% of the time. I just keep rebooting till it goes away. No idea what's causing it.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest aktarus82

:banana:

I had also this problem with lilo / mdk 10.1, A7N8X-E Deluxe and serial-ata hdd, I tried GRUB and then every things works !!!!!

I often had other problems with lilo (other hardware and other distrib.) and GRUB was always the solution.

• 7 months later...
Guest dazzajay

ok, im getting the same problem with my sata asus a7n8x-e deluxe where after the installo, it reboots and does the lilo - datestamp mishmatch thing, i have selected in the mandriva setup to use grub, and after the reboot the compy still does the lilo datestamp thing, even tho its sposto be using grub, its realy starting to piss me off now, so if someone could help me get grub working, that would be ace, heres the tricky part, im a complete n00b, and will need a step by step walkthru, thanks, daniel.

It could be a lilo bug. I found this on the net describing a bug fix for lilo 22.5.9:

Version 22.5.9 is a minor update to version 22.5.8

o  Add "bmp-retain" keyword for those using splash screens at startup.

o  Binary distribution adds a statically linked copy of LILO.

o  Bugfix for duplicated volume IDs at boot-time; adding a disk often

resulted in a "Timestamp mismatch" panic stop.

apparrently this has been previously addressed.

And I found this workaround here:

http://www.brianwsnyder.com/linuxlaptop/ma...ke_install.html

LILO - Timestamp Mismatch

I turned on my laptop this morning and, whoa, got that message and that's were it stuck. However, I had a boot disk so I booted to that. It booted into XP (for those unfamiliar with a dual boot system you need to boot to Windows from the LILO menu so if you can't get that far you can't boot to anything) for some reason but that enabled me to research that error. What I did was go into the BIOS and move the clock ahead five hours (to GMT time). I then ran /sbin/lilo again, rebooted, and got the regular LILO screen again. Picked my kernel of choice and then reset the clock. Did another reboot and that seemed to work.

So you can try that - i.e. resetting your clock ahead to whatever GMT is in your area in your bios, boot into rescue mode with the install disk 1 and reinstall lilo.

Guest dazzajay

i found that workaround like 3 days ago, it had no affect, just tell me how to replace lilo with grub, if involves a boot floppy, no can do as the last flopy i had was in my 486 back in 1995

Guest dazzajay

ok so i just fixed it, this may work for som other ppl with the a7n8x-e, i wass trying to boot from sata socket 2 when installe, so i switched the sata cable from mobo sata socket 2 to socket 1 and now it works.... stupid wiring problem.