10.1 CD and XMMS problems

Jiawen

I'm running XMMS under Mandrake 10.1 Official and it's crashing. I've tried all of these things:

• reinstalling XMMS,
  • deleting my ~/.xmms directory,
  • reinstalling the Audio CD Reader package,
  • running it with both OSS and ALSA,
  • chmodding my CD drives, and
  • running XMMS without the "soundwrapper" addition.

None of these have helped, though I may have done these things incorrectly.

Before I deleted my ~/.xmms directory, XMMS would crash immediately upon opening it. I also couldn't get it to read CD's before. Now, though, it reads CDs correctly and plays tunes correctly, but when it gets to the end of a CD (after playing the last track), it crashes. When I run it from a terminal, this is the error message I get:

xmms: charset.c:1002: xmms_charset_recode_id3: Assertion `buf' failed.
Aborted

I can play CDs with the Mandrake CD Player, but I'd rather be able to use XMMS.

I have similar problems when I try to run ripperX. When I open it, it says:

Error Code 14
Make sure an audio disc is in the drive and that you are either running ripperX as root, are a member of the "cdrom" group, or otherwise have appropriate permissions to access the CDROM drive.

Error: cdparanoia complains:
Unable to open disc.

Grip, on the other hand, appears able to read the CDs with no problems. (I can't figure out how to rip to mp3, but that's another problem, right?)

Under Mandrake 9.2, I didn't have any of these problems.

Please help! I'd really like to be able to listen to music without difficulty...

I tried to help you with one of your problems in relation to GRIP.

To rip to mp3 instead of ogg.

Opened Grip ......Config.....then......Encode .........then....Encoder.

In Encoder you have .....Encoder: and a selector panel alongside it. Clicked on the panel and selected..........LAME. (Lame is the mp3 tool) (the oggenic is the OGG tool).

Got error message:

Invalid encoder executable.

Check your encoder config

Yet I can rip to wav OK. This is no big issue for me because I prefer OGG anyway

But I know the process I outlined is the way it is supposed to work. Ideas anyone why mine doesn't ???

Try it on your machine and it maybe OK.

Cheers. John.

Thanks for responding, both of you!

I use Gnome. I installed the xmms-esd plugin, and it shows up in the XMMS output list, but XMMS then crashes. It also crashes at the end of a CD. I also tried under KDE with xmms-arts and got the same results.

When I try to use Grip and ignore then "incorrect encoder" errors, it won't let me. If I try ripping a CD, it just gives me that error message and dumps me back to the main program interface.

Any other ideas? I really appreciate your help, and I hope it's not too much to ask for more... :)

Well everyone, I have been busy solving this problem and I now have the full successful result for you all.

First off, the encoder required to make an MP3 is called LAME.

IT IS NOT INCLUDED WITH MANDRAKE although probably all other Linux OSs include it or something similar. Naughty Mandrake.

Thanks to an extremely helpful gentleman, by name Mike Oliphant at the GRIP site, he told me where to obtain the necessary RPM for mandrake.

It is as follows:-

http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/sourceforge/x/xa/xawdecode/lame-3.96.1-1mdk.i586.html

When you install it, it is installed into /usr/bin/lame.

If you have been experimenting with Grip in trying to solve this problen then I would most strongly recommend that you delete all the hidden grip files that will be in your account and then uninstall GRIP altogether. Do a fresh reinstall of GRIP.

So far so good but it is still necessary to make a few changes.

Go into the Config part of GRIP and then into the Encoder tab and type in any changes necessary to make it exactly as shown in the accompanying snapshot.

The second snapshot is what the OGG should look like. Any of these changes are saved in the hidden Grip files in your account.

NOTE. Do not alter the existing shown Encoder command-line or Encoder file format as there should be nothing needed to be changed here. But as you can see the other 2 lines do have or may have changes.

Encoder executable === /usr/bin/lame

Encoder command-line= -h --tt "%n" --ta "%a" --tl "%d" --ty "%y" --tn "%t" --tg "%G" -b %b %w %m

Encoder file extension== mp3

Encode file format ==== ~/mp3/%A/%d/%t_%n.%x

I ripped 2 different tracks, doing one in each of mp3 and ogg and trasferred them into Windows2000. Both played in WinAmp ok but only the mp3 would play in media player. I then renamed the ogg to mp3 but it still would not play in media player so it is a genuine ogg.

Maybe this could be pinned to somewhere promonent for future users as well.

Cheers. John.

John, lame is part of plf, so if you set up your urpmi sources properly (read my site), urpmi lame will get you there.

No deinstall reinstall necessary.

Furthermore, no free distro can bundle lame, since it is patented technology. Yes, mp3 is patented, by the Frauenhofer institute, and Thomson Multimedia is the company collecting the money.

RH (FC) doesn't even support mp3 playback because of these issues.

mp3 decoding and mp3 encoding, in both hardware and software, are under patent by the Fraunhofer Institute, which enforces a licensing scheme for all four operations. Solely in the case of *decoding* mp3 in *software*, the institute has undertaken to turn a 'blind eye' to software which provides the function _free_ without paying them a license fee. This undertaking is not formal and is not written down anywhere; it's based entirely on trust. Most Linux distributions have decided to trust this undertaking and thus they provide MP3 decoding out of the box - Mandrake falls in this category. Red Hat / Fedora take a more conservative stance so they don't include it.

Fraunhofer makes no such undertaking with regards to *encoding* software, and have undertaken to pursue anyone providing an mp3 encoder without paying a license fee. This is why you can only get the source code for lame from its official site, not binaries (source code is not subject to patent law, only compiled binaries are - this has in fact just struck me as an interesting point with regards to Linux, as it means you could never get the Linux kernel *proper* under any kind of patent infringement action, only distributors of compiled binary kernels...). As arTee says, you can get lame for Mandrake from PLF. If you live anywhere where software patents apply (e.g., the U.S.A.), it's technically illegal to use it without paying Fraunhofer a license fee. If you live anywhere else (e.g. Canada, Europe - yay Poland!), you're in the clear, they can't touch you.

I don't believe any other major distro ships with mp3 encoding out of the box yet. Though it would make sense for Linspire to buy a license and trumpet this as a feature; they've been doing it a lot lately (see Windows Media playback).

• 1 month later...
Guest Diwann
I'm running XMMS under Mandrake 10.1 Official and it's crashing. I've tried all of these things:
  • reinstalling XMMS,

• deleting my ~/.xmms directory,

• reinstalling the Audio CD Reader package,

• running it with both OSS and ALSA,

• chmodding my CD drives, and

• running XMMS without the "soundwrapper" addition.

None of these have helped, though I may have done these things incorrectly.

Under Mandrake 9.2, I didn't have any of these problems.

Please help! I'd really like to be able to listen to music without difficulty...

what is your version of the installed xmms ???

i have met the same probleme after installipg the musepack for xmms plugin and upgrading to xmms 1.2.10-11

so i manually reintall back xmms-1.2.9 and it worked again !

and it was crashing too with the 1.2.12 version of cooker

NB : on another computer : xmms --version

xmms 1.2.10

and no crash