palm sync difficulties [solved]

JonEberger

so i've posted minorly about this before. but i thought i'd bring it to the forefront with a new topic.

i run mandrake. now 10.1 as of yesterday. i have a palm iiic and it works wonderfully. cradle works in windows no sweat.

when i go to linux (kpilot, jpilot pilot-link) it locks when it hits /dev/ttyS0 or if i change serial ports on the pc it locks on /dev/ttyS1. everytime. this is not alt+ctrl+backspace out of x...the box is down. manual reboot.

so i tried it on another linux machine. mandrake 9.1. my wife's. it works great. so i get out her palm. it's a palm zire with usb. it syncs on her comp and when i put it on mine, it once again locks.

the cradle works wonderfully so i know that my serial cradle ain't the issue. also there are no problems with the usb cable. it's obviously something on my computer (it's hardware) and it's compatibility with mandrake 10.x or something that mandrake itself doesn't like. it there something i can do to fix this?

thanks.

I found this on Google:

PalmOS PDA

most PalmOS PDA working device should now be automatically detected and linked to /dev/pilot (see Bug #3381 [mandrakesoft.com]), but some can't be autodetected (like Tungsten T, T2). In this case (ie if pilot-link -l failed after starting hotsync on the Palm), add "VISOR_SWAP=true" to /etc/sysconfig/usb to force correct device usage.

Good luck.

I'm also very much interested in this (I have a Palm Tungsten T3).

Unfortunately, it looks like I blew my power supply this weekend, so I can't test it until that is replaced.

i won't get to test this out for at least a few more hours. i'll let you know then.

so one interesting phenomenon i had forgotten to mention was that the syncs actually worked flawlessly when i used a serial non-cradle connection. but the serial cradle doesn't go with it. however the cradle works on other linux and def. under windows.

maybe this will fuel the discussion.

• 1 month later...
Guest contemplativery

:wall:

I've been perplexed by a similar problem. I'm using a Tungsten C, which syncs fine in Windows. However, I can't get it to be detected at all in Mandrake 10.1. No usb device shows up in /dev when I press the hotsync button (as dev/ttyUSB0, dev/usb, dev/pilot, or anything looking remotely like it might be a usb device).

The usb hub, however, is detected just fine in Mandrake. Using lspci, for example shows my usb controller. lsmod shows "usbcore", "ehci-hcd", and "uhci-hcd".

I made the "VISOR_SWAP=true" change to /etc/sysconfig/usb, to no avail.

I'm a total Linux newbie, so if anybody has some advice on where to turn next in trying to see my Tungsten in Windows, I would GREATLY appreciate it. I'm trying to make a total switch to Linux, but I could never do it without support for my Palm! :unsure:

I'm having exactly the same problem, contemplativery. :sad: I have a thread about it here.

I have added the "VISOR_SWAP=true", also, but still no go.

Edited by Padma

Guest contemplativery

My problem, very similar to this, was solved by turning on ACPI in the bootloader (LILO) settings in Mandrake 10.1. ACPI has to do with power management on laptops (I'm using an Averatec 3200).

For some reason, ACPI being turned off was keeping all USB devices from being recognized.

Once I fixed this, the Tungsten C was immediately recognized and synced easily with KPilot.

• 1 month later...

So something that bothers me is that I don't think that MDK is physically putting an irq or a ttyS* to the serial port.

When I do a "cat /proc/interrupts" i get

CPU0 
 0:   74509094    IO-APIC-edge  timer 
 1:         16    IO-APIC-edge  i8042 
 9:          0   IO-APIC-level  acpi 
14:      62218    IO-APIC-edge  ide0 
15:     869553    IO-APIC-edge  ide1 
16:    5549252   IO-APIC-level  uhci_hcd, nvidia 
17:        347   IO-APIC-level  EMU10K1 
18:      44405   IO-APIC-level  uhci_hcd, ohci1394, eth0 
19:     139315   IO-APIC-level  uhci_hcd 
23:          3   IO-APIC-level  ehci_hcd 
NMI:          0 
LOC:   74510386 
ERR:          0 
MIS:          0

there are no irqs set aside for the serial. any ideas?

i've thought about using setserial.....but this seems drastic.

Edited by JonEberger

• 3 weeks later...

so i was having some difficulty with the cpu getting warm and so itook the machine apart and got rid of components i no longer use (modem, etc.). hooked everything back up and considered i'd just give it a shot. syncs perfectly. even through several reboots. don't know what happened, but i'm glad it did.