Alcatel SpeedTouch USB

3lade

You have to run modem_run as root. In a shell, type these commands to 'su' to root (anything in [ ] is just comments or actions, you don't actually type it:

su [hit enter]

[type in root password][hit enter]

You are now root and can run the modem_run command. If it works and you want your connection to start at boot, you can add the whole modem_run command to the end of /etc/rc.d/rc.local (make sure to put a ; at the end of the command. (You'll have to edit that file as root, so su to root in a console and type 'kwrite /etc/rc.d/rc.local' without the quotes and then edit and save the file. )Your connection will start at boot after that.

Guest metz2000

I'll give that a shot. Hope it works. Do I have to install the speedtouch package from the mandrake package thingy at any point? Or was that what the speedmgmt.tar.gz was all about?

Thx

Guest metz2000

Just tried modem_run both with su root (again, "bash: modem_run not found" or something) and tried it actually logging in as root. No luck.

Is modem_run a program? Is it in a package somewhere (on one of the CDs maybe? I only have used CD 1 during install as that was all I could be bothered to download at the time - {Mandrake 9.0})

Thanks again for your help ppl.

as you can tell I'm a complete n00b when it comes to Linux :oops:

Hello, like you µi have a USB alcatel modem(specially bought it because linux recognizes it), but it didn't work properly. I'll keep it short. I'll also used some text of a (think) frenchman you almost surely encountered searching for alcatle usb. My modem connects, but it takes a short while(it first says it isn't connected and then it starts(it also says that another drievr or something is probably trying to acces the device or something, but it works...the tuning comes later)

How did I set everything up?(long text, but not much work if it works)

-I first placed the file that was asked during the installation (mgmt.o I believe) in "/usr/share speedtouch/". You probably did it already

-Normally I expected it to work, but it didn't....

You'll also have to do the following:

-in "/etc/ppp/peers" change the file adsl to the following(this is from the frenchman's site):

debug

kdebug 1

noipdefault

defaultroute

pty "/usr/bin/pppoa3 -vpi 8 -vci 35"#you maybe have to change where pppoa3 or pppoa2 is

#located on your computer the vpi and vci values are probably right, but if not I read that

# these depend on your ISP, but I'm not sure about this, just trty these values!!!

sync

user "<yourloginname>"

novjccomp

noaccomp

nopcomp

nomagic

noccp

asyncmap 0

usepeerdns

holdoff 1

persist

maxfail 0

-You may also have a look at the files "chap-secrets" and 'pap-secrets" in "/etc/ppp" and be sure that you loginname and password for the internet is filled in correctly and be sure that there aren't any emty loginnames and passwords created by Mandrake(remove those if they are present)

-At this moment it worked for me, but when I rebooted and tried again, everything changed back to the old settings(very frustrating!!!). This solved it:

In the directory "/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts" two files "drakconnect_conf" and "drakconnect_conf.default" weren't filled in completely: my loginname and password for the internetaccount were missing (and maybe also an dns, but this isn't so bad I think).

If you haven't yet got your adsl to work hopefullt this helps. First mandrake will say there isn't a connection, but wait...you'll probably see your green adsl-light af the modem blinking. You'll have to wait till it stops blinking and shortly after(or then) you are connected to the internet.

Michel

• 3 weeks later...
Guest metz2000

Hey... I got my speedtouch USB to work with Mandrake 9.0 last night.

All I did was to make sure I had the usb modem plugged in during the Mandrake 9.0 install. When it gets to the section about connecting to the internet I chose to use 'ADSL' and then 'alcatel speedtouch usb'. It tells you to copy the mgmt.o file into '/usr/share/speedtouch'. So I do this. Reboot... it comes back up and I'm connected (i.e. I go to Mozilla, type google.com and I get google!)... Fanatastic I think. So I turn my linux box off at 01.30 this morning...

I wake up this morning full of excitement and go to try and connect again (it should be connecting at boot). The light on the modem come on and everything (the ADSL one even flickers), but I cannot access google - or any other website for that matter.

Can anyone recommend any good tools to see what's going on?

Thanks.

Those of you who have managed to get your speedtouch usb's working, I also have one, but now it is where it belongs (as far as i'm concerned) on top of a pile of books, waiting for sale or the rubbish bin.

the reason:-

Some of you will discover that sometimes, for no apparent reason, you suddenly can't connect, you try everything and are stumped.

So you end up trying the "wind0w$ cure all" and re-boot, all of a sudden you notice that where you used to connect on boot, you get a nice little message about failing to connect at boot that mentions that in /usr/share/speedtouch/speedtouch.sh line 150 ?returned =0 command command not found. (this is as close as I can recall to what the message says).

When I had this snag (more than once) I dropped back into "$atan'$ $oftware" and googled for a while, the only thing that I could find was a posting from one of the "cooker" message boards that said about changing the ? to $ or maybe the other way round. Either way, it didn't work. I always ended up having to re install the OS, which I'm sure you will agree is a pain! I even tried getting the script from a working version of the speedtouch.sh file but all to no avail.

My solution was http://www.solwise.co.uk/modems.htm and buy a SAR110, finished off with a quick visit to pcworld for a netgear FA311 network card.

Now I can swing between OS's with out the connection being dropped, I don't need to worry about firewall's so much (and no killing the speedtouch.sh by trying to sort out "shorewall") etc etc etc.

Connected life is now such a breeze!!!!!

Just my £82.19 worth!!

regards

John