Alcatel SpeedTouch USB

3lade

I have searched and found various posts about this modem but I need help installing and setting up the little blue/green ufo/stingray or whatever it is.

I am running a Win98 machine and it connects to the BTOpenworld (sorry non UK readers) network. But want my MD9 machine to do it and then share the connection to the other M$ machines.

I think I have installed the drivers, it knows the modem is there when I plug it in, the lights flash blink and then stay green but using the connection wizard in MCC it always fails to connect. Am I missing something. Do I have to modify some other files rather than use the MCC.

For the UFO speedtouch I've got two links for you:

The first is in french but very visual and easy: ( for mandrake 9.0)

www.croucrou.fr.st/informatique/speedtouch_et_mandrake.php

The second one looks difficult, that may put you off, but as you use madrake 9.0 you can skip all the kernel and usb -stuff :

www.linux-usb.org/SpeedTouch/

Praise yourself lucky you've got the blue UFO and not the red 330

Good luck

To be honest I ran out of time the other day at work to sort it out. So I decided to try it at home.

I sectioned off a part of my XP install (I know, I have not MDK installed at home yet) and installed MDK9. Must say it went really well, and quick, and I now have a happy little dual booter :)

I went to follow all the instructions but came accross a problem already. When I plug the ufo in the USB light flashes red for a bit and then goes out, then nothing. I have checked the status and it doesnt know its there. I have installed the mgmt.0 file and everything but no joy. Still works in XP :cry:

BTW: PC is 1.4 Athlon, 768mb DDR, MSI mobo with USB 1.1 ports, nVidia GF4 if that helps.

It has helped me test some BIOS settings but I still cant get MDK to see the damn thing :evil: It's not as if the cable is long?

What are the settings for making a USB device 'plugable'? I have a feeling this is the problem. Or what can I loook for?

Well it must have the trip to the pub but I seemed to have fixed it. Needed to boot Linux with noapic command and usb ports are now working :D

Next problem or question:

1. I followed Steve Scrimpshires instructions and started ADSL via shell, but how can I get it start automatically on boot or on shortcut?

2. Also is there a way of displaying the status, ie the little network icon in M$ (I know I should not have said that :oops:) but it helps me know whats happening.

3. The last and final one: firewalls. Do I need one on a personal PC and what should I get?

Well I'm chuffed to bits so far 8)

You can add the commands to the end of /etc/rc.d/rc.local if you want. Also, if you are staying connected with your aDSL all the time, then I would strongly suggest a firewall. Bastille-netfilter seems to do the trick for me, but I could not get any other firewalls to work, although there are plenty that people will suggest.

Works a treat.

As it boots now the lights flash into life and I am connected my the time I log on.

I have also solved my need for the network icon, run gkrellm and have it monitor ppp0. Simple if you use your head :oops:

I downloaded, what I thought was Firestarter but I cant get that to run at present. But it will come :P

• 4 weeks later...
Guest metz2000

Right then... I have mandrake 9.0.

I read Steve Scrimpshire's post somewhere... when he was known as someone else (Omar / Umar or something ??).

The thread was originally from another forum but was copied over here. Haven't got the link handy, but I have copied that page with the instructions to a floppy.

At the moment I have two machines... a WinXp box and a mandrake 9.0 box. They are sharing a monitor/keyboard/mouse at the moment so I have to keep swapping the cables over (I will get a KVM switch once I manage to get Linux connected via ADSL).

I am going to try and use the instructions from the thread I mentioned above and see how that goes.

Don't be surprised to see me back here though, I've been all over the place trying to get Linux (various distros) to work with my speedtouch usb and so far no luck... :(

I'll be back to let you know how it goes in about 1 hour.

Thanks ppl,

Metz