Firefox & SCIM (Chinese input) crashing

Hi all,

I was having problems getting Firefox to run under Mandrake 10.1. Every time I tried to run it, I'd get this error:

root@localhost firefox-installer]# ./firefox-installer
SCIM: im_module_init
free(): invalid pointer 0x821ca48!
free(): invalid pointer 0x821ca20!
./firefox-installer: line 56: 24620 Segmentation fault (core dumped) ./${BINNAME}-bin $@

I found a solution, which is unfortunately not very elegant, at the Linux Format forums:

as the rpm fox wasnt working at its best - some extensions didnt do what they were supposed to, "find" tool wanst working, etc- i managed to search about SCIM, which is the service thats bothering us. in order to install firefox, open a terminal and type:

scim -f x11 -c simple -ns socket -d
export LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
export XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM
export GTK_IM_MODULE=xim

then, launch firefox-installer

as youll need to type those instructions everytime you want to open firefox, the best thing to do, i guess, is adding then to the firefox script which launches the browser. just open "firefox" (shell script) with a text editor and copy paste them.

anyway, i'd be so much thankful if anyone could explain me properly what those commands do. i know they work, dont know why.

cheers

It works, but it feels like it shouldn't be necessary to change the startup script for Firefox (and other apps, as it happens) to get them to work.

In Mandrake 9.2, I added those export commands into a file called ~/.i18n, but there doesn't seem to be anything like that in Mandrake 10.1.

Does anyone know of a better solution to this problem?

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Hallo Jiawen,

I am having exactly the same problem with the installer. Have you found the solution? We could always write to James Su at suzhe at tsinghua.org.cn who is the creator of SCIM for suggestions.

Michael

• 2 months later...

Your temporary solution is to add this line to your ~/.i18n file:

QT_IM_MODULE=XIM

But this doesn't solve every single problem involved.

I am still looking at the cause of it.

What sucks right now is LinuxSir is not accessible outside China because of a router misconfiguration by one of the China ISPs. So contacting suzhe is difficult except via email.

Edited by zero0w

• 4 months later...