Installed linux, then windows.

In a nutshell, you just have to be careful here. The MBR is a wee bit of startup code data that points to the partition that will run grub (or lilo, or windows). Since you have windows up and running, as you reported, you are trying to get grub to reinstall. I'm not very familiar with grub but basically, like lilo, its going to read the /etc/fstab file. It also (I'm assuming) has a config file. Both must match the current configuration you have. So, what you need to do is write down the current configuration partition by partition so you know what you are working with.

E..g

HDA - first BIOS drive

1 - is what? Windows

2 - is what?

3 - is what?

4 - is what?

5 and up are extended partitions.

HDB - second BIOS drive - linux?

1 - is what..

so on

Then you can go line by line through your fstab and grub config file and make sure the entries are correct.

When ready, you need to run the grub program. Should check for errors and do not reboot until you are sure all errors have been resolved.

Let us know how you make out.

:thanks:

SoulSe you have taken my reply out of context.

I was referring to the Fedora crowd HERE at MUB. My meaning was that there is a majority of members here who use Mandrake who know nothing about Fedora so they would mostly not, including myself, be able to help or offer help. Or didn't you take the time to read my last offered contributed help ??.

Sorry, but you ran when you should have walked. My first post was made ages ago and now at the last minute you admonish me when I did not see you post at anytime earlier in the piece.

In the time that has lapsed I would have thought that if I had been out of line then one of the other moderators would have jumped in on me.

I'll accept that your admonishment was just a mistake and leave it at that.

John.

Cannonfoder. I need to have grub recognize a config file. At the moment I have to manually boot to windows.

My first hd is windows. My second bios drive is linux. My old grub that worked is still on the second harddrive. But I had to install a new one on the first drive. I hope that clears it up for you cannonfoder.

Note: To all still answering. Please understand this isn't the basic of problems. I don't believe this is a basic newbie problem and it may require some more work than a normal one would. I have looked at various tutorials and I dunno what is going on.

Thanks for the help,

SwiftDeath