fail to start X windows....

Guest Craneo

After installation of MDK 10.1 under VM, I can't start x windows. As I am a beginner of linux, I don't know much about the command line. but I know if I wanna start X windows, I need to type startx, right? But it failed. So who can tell me how to start it, and if I made something wrong, pls tell me how to fix it.....

see the attachment.....

[moved from Installing Mandrake by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

post-8171-1100153368_thumb.jpg

welcome aboard craneo :)

log in as root, then type XFdrake to set up your gui. after that, you should be able to use startx.

just a question: why do you use the init3 (text-login) and not init5 (graphical login) as a newbie? :rolleyes:

Edited by arctic

Thx! Arctic.....I don't know how to use init5...and I run XFdrake, then configure my graphic card. you know I installed MDK under VMware, so the default graphic card is VM virtual graphic card. after the configuration I made a testing,It failed to pass. I think there is something wrong with setting up the graphic card. So arctic, did you have any experience about the installation of MDK under VMware? I don't know how to configure the Virtual graphic card...